Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> 2-round, best-of-5 playoffs   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DWilliamsNSH

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Promotion & relegation stays the same, however, the top 2 teams from each division play in the East/West Division Series, winners advance to League Championship Series. Format would be traditional.

Thoughts?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually like the current system. Real world playoffs look like your suggestion, especially in other pro sports, mostly for financial benefits. Up until the 80s baseball kept it traditional with very few playoff teams. I like that. It rewards being king of the long, marathon season. Also for me, one third of the teams being in the playoffs would be too much.

Updated Friday, October 12 2018 @ 2:46:54 pm PDT
DWilliamsNSH

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a concrasting opinion.

I personally beleive that 33 - 60% of teams should make the playoffs, similar to how hockey & basketball do it. Broken Bat Baseball shouldn't be a 8 team playoff, but I believe playoffs should be a minimum of 2 rounds.

Plus, it would add more competitivness as it would give teams that cant get promoted something else to play for.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Never a fan of this. The current system works great, and there are many, many leagues here that come down to the last handful of games, and sometimes to the last series. It ain't broke.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, the three game series we play in Cup elimination are total luck fests. The 7 game series is nice because it feels like the best team wins more often than not. I feel like reducing it to 5 would make it more luck based.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If the divisions were larger, maybe. But I think the current system works fine. There can be plenty of tension running up to the end of the season. I've been involved in several pennant races that came down the the last series of the season, a couple of times against the team I am competing with. It doesn't get more exciting than that. No need to throw in an artificial playoff, that would be less exciting in my opinion.

Updated Sunday, October 21 2018 @ 5:30:56 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The only teams I ever see ease up at the end are those who are WAY ahead, or those who are WAY behind. Generally those in the middle are still fighting on one side or the other (to promote or avoid demotion).
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I do like the current system.

I've suggested this before. Everyone plays their opposite at the end of the season.

Why? 7 game play off series are fun.

Problem? 1 vs. 1 are playing for the title. What is everyone else playing for? Just becomes spring training. Need a carrot.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What is everyone else playing for?

Rating points, a couple prestige points maybe? Oh..and some DOP of course!

I think everyone would agree that it is an improvement over no games at all. A little extra east vs. west action.

And @OP: I'm also not in favor of the proposed change. Pretty much for the same reason you mentioned. (this is not hockey or basketball)

buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Haven't read the other responses, but the current system works best.

It would make no sense for a weaker team to be ultimately leapfrog a stronger team just because it played better in a 7-10 day span (of game time). If a second-place team won the playoffs, but didn't get promoted, feels like a waste of time to have even tried. If a first-place team loses the playoffs, and doesn't get promoted, then a generally quality season is lost. Having two teams make the playoffs per division would totally ruin any meaning to winning your division

Previous Page | Show All |