Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Eliminate Round 10 of the Draft   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Eliminate round 10 of the current draft. It's basically a wasteland.

In its place, have a Draft Your Customized Player round.

We all start with the same generic structure--potential of 13 for hitting and 9 for everything else. We are then allotted 15 points to add to all categories except hitting, which must remain at 13. After we've upgraded the 15 SI, chosen either High School or College (no other choices; maybe just college?) and throwing arm (not batting), we hit "draft" and the game completes the player by adding 12-14 points (random) to the player's potential. It fleshes out the player, some of which details are still not necessarily seen. Each category gets a maximum addition of 3 from the AI contribution.

The result is everyone gets a partially self-created player with 103-105 SI potential, which, if he pans out, basically equates to a replacement level position player. More importantly, it allows us to draft someone that has the possibility of playing a position we see we will need in the future.

As is the case is now, the game generates a profile of the player after completion that gives the scouting reports of the player.

The total SI and contribution rates are close to what they probably should be. I definitely don't think they should go up any. Drop them more than a couple points, though, and you probably no longer have a viable player.

Updated Sunday, October 7 2018 @ 9:22:03 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting concept Mike. My initial reaction was no, however after taking a step back I think its worth talking about at the very least. Issues I see:

1. Does the 'draftee' have to be a position player? most folk whinge about not getting enough pitching (I'm the opposite!)
2. You're going to get a lot of very generic players this way, there's only so many things you can do with those 30 or so SI.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the perfect way to expand the under-utilised international arena. Sorry if it seems like I'm going off-track, but in my mind instead of having a customised player, you'd have something like the Japanese or Korean professional ball rules - they have 3? international players they're allowed?

So in my scenario, at the end of the season / draft 10, you'd choose which international competition you'd like to select from, and 'draft' a mostly developed player who is fairly well built.

An example would be:

Choose: Australian professional league
Choose position: 3B:
Result: You'd get 5-10 players who have had a 'season' in the Australian league with their stats. You'd be able to see their full build and you could add them to your team. So there's every chance you could be choosing a 29 year old with:

15 hitting
12 BC
9 PD
14 Power
8 Speed
16 Fielding
11 Range
16 Arm

So you will be getting a 101 SI guy who may have a limited lifespan, but may still have a little room to grow. I'm 50/50 over whether potential for these folk should be shown or hidden.

I hope I haven't hijacked your thread Mike, my intention is to build on it!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Customizing a player is pretty powerful. Even with only 103 SI to work with. Some of my best players have less than that (half my pro squad has less than 105 SI). I think if you were going to give that much SI, it would make more sense to make this pick #1.

Hitters only?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Create-a-Playerâ„¢? Maybe the best thing about this game is that you can't mess with the players. No from me.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There are multiple reasons why I think it should be round ten. The first I already stated--the last rounds now are jokes. Another is that because it is the last round, they'll be behind the training curve. As I said, I'd be fine with lowering the SI for the Create A Player round. My idea was just a sketch. Obviously it would need fine tuning.

I know it will never happen. The point is something should be done about the draft. It's a sham. Let owners make real decisions and actually build a team instead of having the game build teams. That's what really happens here. The game builds your team and you play them to the best of your ability. Broken Bat would be so much better if we actually had a say in our team structure.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea inasmuch it regards roster building.
Position depth is, probably, the main concern of RL GMs.
Whereas in BB we can do only do much gmail:(

So, as long as we don't create All Stars, I'm in favor
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
NO for anything that player is built. Too easy to cheat.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lol. I have no idea what that means.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
i like it. Somehow hard to believe anything like that could happne.

Previous Page | Show All |