Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Let's Make the Draft Great Again!!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I do think it would be interesting to see arm and range factored in same way into the scouting reports for the draft. Could make it really interesting by forcing managers to actually run some calculations in the draft and make more informed decisions.
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Since the players usual position listed is a far stretch from reality it is useless to gauge their ideal position. We see it all the time, a College SS with terrible fielding and no arm...you think this guy would be a college SS

I'm for more information, but seeing more information and ^^ this are two different problems really. That ^ is a fundamental problem that i think should be fixed regardless of whether draft changes or not. Position Templates need to be updated or created (if they do not already exist) in order to avoid such players.

In the absence of better position templates, sure, more information will definitely help avoid crappy builds.
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Totally agree on the templates, good point Jaybrams.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Templates don't exist, but I think they should.

In real life, a lot of crappy players get drafted. A small team of scouts has to scout thousands of players. They might catch a guy on a good game or a poor game. Recruiting is no where near as informed as you believe. In fact we have WAY more information than real teams do on the players on our teams. Real teams don't get a convenient POT value which tells you how much SI a player is going to gain. I real life, a guy they think is a POT 15 will often turn out to be a POT 10.

Recruiting off the scouting reports is more realistic, and I find it much more fun than seeing the players out right. Of course its an element of luck, but one that I think is appropriately balanced and fitting the game narrative very well.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I really hate games that spoon feed draftees to lazy managers. I do hope this game never reverts to that. Evaluate the scouting reports and make an educated decision on who has the most upside. Then cross your fingers and hope you draw a valuable baseball card out of that pack.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I don’t think I could have stated my overall sentiment any better than Rock just did.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don’t think I could have stated my overall sentiment any more opposite than Rock just did. I think he has it completely wrong. He calls it lazy when someone makes an educated, calculated pick based on more complete estimations of players, reviews true options and one's roster. Then what is drafting off luck-based, draft vapor? I make 90% of my draft choices in less than 15 seconds now because the draft is a hollow luck-fest. I could train a monkey to do it. I should know; I do it, after all.

There's absolutely no need for the fake cloak and dagger of the draft. There's tremendous variance even in like players. Owners should get similar players in a round. 30+ SI swings in a round is insane, but what we have to deal with. That puts the emphasis on luck. That's not good.

I hope all of you who support the current cloak and dagger draft buy your home that way. Your agent gives you this flyer--spacious, waterfront, a great view, you immediately sign for it and end up...living in van down by the river.

Updated Friday, June 1 2018 @ 9:41:47 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Right now we have random (quality of players) compounding random (quality of picks). You want to go to complete knowledge, which I think is swinging too much the other direction.

If we remove some of the random on quality of picks, then you have already drastically reduced random, and it won't compound the random of quality of players.

Its not fake cloak and dagger. We get more information than real life teams do. Any more and I say we are being spoon feed.

Updated Friday, June 1 2018 @ 9:38:57 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here is what I threw against the wall for templates a while back. Just a first cut, but the idea was to leave room for busts, while reducing the likelihood that a player would be completely incompatible with their pre-minors known position.

Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
How about this idea. When a player is first picked he of course has his pot and position(s) already generated. But instead of his starting pts already being placed,all his skills are at 0 and we as owners place them to get the player going. After that they develop as normal. I know,I’m probably going to be shot down but I’m throwing an idea out. This way though you don’t have a SS with 12 range and 7 arm for example or a catcher with a 7 arm. I know everyone would have C with 20 arms(something would have to be done). Maybe with fielding descriptions the top ranges could be capped or something. Again,just a thought

Previous Page | Show All |