Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Dynamic Aging   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Had an idea to have Broken Bat better reflect the way real athletes compensate for the gradual loss of athleticism as they grow older than the current model of decline.

How about instead of just losing points as they age, we had them shift a couple of those points into other areas? Say a player isn't as fast as he once was, so he can't beat those throws to first like he once could. Maybe he learns to take pitches a little better to compensate and picks up a point or two in PD? Or, a player who used to be able to muscle a ball into the corners or over the wall learns to poke singles into gaps and picks up a point or two in BC? Or, a power pitcher starts to lose velocity and learns to use the plate better picks up a point or two in control to compensate?

Seems like this would make aging related decisions about fading players a little more interesting. Do I dump this guy because he can't be my leadoff guy anymore, or does he still have some value? Maybe my veteran pitcher has a late-career renaissance after learning to paint the corners instead of throwing heat over the middle of the plate for every pitch.

CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I like this idea because let's face it, BB players age out much quicker than real life ball players. The way the game is set up now you best have a good back-up plan for a player after 32 years of age because most times he's lost enough skill points to be replaced.

Would make some of these 33-35 year olds much more appealing to keep around. Obviously I wouldn't want every player to be able to do what Haselrig is talking about, but it would be nice to have a player make those adjustments and as an owner be able to go, "Hey, look at this guy. He's transitioning into a good (whatever)."

Updated Monday, December 11 2017 @ 8:38:54 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Agreed, it would be a cool hidden trait to have, I did have a 30 year old P who lost a point of velocity at the start of the year, pick up a point of CoS last update, so potentially it already exists at some level?
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Being the Debbie-downer that I am, this all parallels people here in Cincinnati saying Joey Votto should be an even better OBP guy as he ages, similar to what you are suggesting. They say the HR's should tun into 2Bs just like you are saying as well (dude is signed until he's 40/41, so we're looking for silver linings).

The flip side is that as you age, while your eye could get better, you muscle reflexes do not.

You might recognize the pitch, but you'll be a tick slower reacting.

Don't think you should gain any BC, bc you should be losing it. But won't argue that PD could gain a point in each the 32-33-34 seasons. Might be able to be worth keeping an old franchise guy on the bench until age 35 season so he can retire with your club.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You know, at first read I didn’t like this idea. But after rereading it a few times and seeing Snowflakes latest reply, I’ve changed my mind. I think there’s so
Thing in here that makes a lot of sense and should definitely be considered.

Agreed, bat control and speed and range, even arm and power, should decline past a certain age. But surely plate discipline is a great example of something that makes perfect sense actually Improving with age.

I just caution that any late-age increases need to make sense. I don’t want to see artificial or unrealistic increases in late-career stage.

And yeah, it’s such a bummer that the 32/33 is just the last and often plummeting ratings hurrah for most B.B. players... 34-37 justdoesnt exist in this game, but it does in real life. Not often, I’ll grant you but it exists far more often than it does in BB
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Of the player ratings we have to work with, PD is really the only thing that might not decline so quickly. Not sure I agree that it should be able to go up past their POT, but I could see making it so that PD doesn't decline like the other skills. Steve already has different weightings on skills (velocity, speed, and range seem to decline quickly), so it might just be a matter to giving PD a 0 weighting.

Should players become more injury prone with age?
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
On the pitching side i think you would like to see more Fish
Maybe it does happen... just not as often as you want 😉

Previous Page | Show All |