Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Position training (via MukilteoMike)   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Two counterpoints on fielding:

First, the report says they can be solid/outstanding/amazing in the field. It does not say that they are. Maybe they don’t have the same kind of focus in the field that they do at the plate, or maybe they aren’t putting forth the effort to really be their best, or maybe they just really do need that much time to build up their defensive skill. Not everyone who plays shortstop is born Ozzie Smith and Derek Jeter, some guys have to work damned hard at it.

Second, why should better fielding guys pick up positions faster? If anything, that should be a hidden trait specific to individual players, and maybe even on a position-by-position basis. (This might even already be the case in-game, for all we know.) Some guys may be lousy fielders, but might pick up a position more quickly than a slicker fielding guy. Besides, good fielders are already going to give you fewer errors in the infield even while learning a position due to the fact that they are good fielders. I see no point in making good fielders even better and bad fielders even worse when it comes to learning new positions on just that basis alone.

In summary: +1 to Mike’s original idea, but -1 to the subsequent additions.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to Mike's ideas.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I liked Mike's idea from the start. Still +1
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Still a +1 here too.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can I +1 my ghost written thread?
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know it is just 1 player in mlb but...
Alex Gordon was a 3B until April 2010 when he was demoted and switched to LF. He came back to the majors at the end of July of the same year to claim LF for the Royals.
In 2011 he won the first of his 5 gold gloves as a left fielder (he won 4 in a row 2011-2014 with a platinum glove in 2014).
So it seems if he were a Broken Bat player, he would have gotten his "of" in about half a season and his OF in 1 year.

Food for thought.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Worth considering that there is a big difference between learning a position like OF and learning something like Catcher. Catcher should take a very long time to learn (probably longer than it takes right now). OF is pretty easy to learn. Positions like 1B, 2B, 3B, and SS are all somewhere on the spectrum in between those two.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Also worth considering, caps at any given position is not topped out. It's just a level that we have all accepted as a player knowing the position. There's a whole arc of position knowledge beyond caps that we don't see. I think small letters/capital letters could be equated to a good/better when there's a best yet to come that we don't see. Another way that might make sense would be to refer back to fielding descriptions.
Solid/outstanding/amazing.
If we could see the invisible level, I think it would bolster the value of this idea. Not that I think we should see that final level of expertise, I think it's just good to remember it exists.
Rock makes a fine point that some positions require more time to learn or excel at. I've no idea if Steve has the engine set up according to any of those considerations but after 16 seasons of BB, I will venture anecdotally that catcher does indeed seem to take more time to learn.
I remain a strong +1 on this idea.

Updated Wednesday, December 13 2017 @ 7:35:46 pm PST
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The alex gordon think was a special case, he learned LF quickly but was also great in the field. If we allow this for every player then while their in the minors and young majors we can just play them at all different positions getting their position up in the minors and being able to play them almost anywhere on the diamond which would make the game unrealistic and to easy. When you draft him you got to be able to try to figure out what future position he is based off the description like in real life with a real GM. We can't end up allowing lots of people to be bailed out on their mistakes by making the game easier.

EDIT: This also creates a skills gap in players so the system doesn't just bail you out. If you really want to be at the top of this game you should be reviewing everyday and planning 4 or 5 seasons down the road with players you just drafted and having to plan that out. To be good you have to know your players and what envision with them.

Updated Wednesday, December 13 2017 @ 7:17:05 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good point. The whole position experience thing is pretty well balanced. You can take a 17 year old and train him in any 2 positions you want. A 21 year old can be trained to be proficient in any position you want. A 25 year old from the Asian System, well that is part of the trade-off in drafting players who are better developed (less position flexibility). If we made it easier for people to train positions it would throw the whole balance out of whack, and we would have a bunch of super utility players who can play every position on the field. Seems kind of like it would take away one of the major planning aspects of the game.

Slightly faster development of the fielding rating doesn't seem unreasonable, but I think the position training is working pretty well as is.

Previous Page | Show All |