Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> More Realistic Player Types   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it would be nice if the player types were a little more realistic. I'm not sure if they are currently determined randomly or what the system is.

I've just noticed that there seems to be a higher than realistic rate of very small(5'8", 5'9", 5'10", 150lb, 160lb, 170lb) or very large(6'6", 6'7", 6'8") players. Maybe its just my perception, but I feel that it is true.

I have a more serious issue with the left and right handedness in the game. I haven't seen any players in the system who throw righty and hit lefty. This is fairly common in real life and I think it should be added to Broken Bat. Also, I am seeing left handed throwing 3B, 2B, and SS quite a bit. It is almost impossible to field those positions left handed and I think they should be eliminated from the game.

Thanks for making this game. I've been playing for a couple seasons now. I think it's great and I can tell that it's just going to get better with your continued tweaks.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I've just noticed that there seems to be a higher than realistic rate of very small(5'8", 5'9", 5'10", 150lb, 160lb, 170lb) or very large(6'6", 6'7", 6'8") players. Maybe its just my perception, but I feel that it is true.

I will look at the distribution. The prospects are generated using a normal distribution and then its up to the individual clubs on who they keep and who they cut. In real life, there are a lot of taller players (especially pitchers), but I'm not sure how many 6' 8" guys there are.

I have a more serious issue with the left and right handedness in the game. I haven't seen any players in the system who throw righty and hit lefty. This is fairly common in real life and I think it should be added to Broken Bat.

I will look into how common this is and try to make sure our percentage is the same.

Also, I am seeing left handed throwing 3B, 2B, and SS quite a bit. It is almost impossible to field those positions left handed and I think they should be eliminated from the game.

I agree...there is a penalty for fielding a left handed throwing 2B/3B/SS and also small penalty for a right handed 1B. Still, teams are free to play "wrong" handed players at those positions and accept the penalty.

Thanks for making this game. I've been playing for a couple seasons now. I think it's great and I can tell that it's just going to get better with your continued tweaks.

Glad you enjoy the game and thanks for the feedback.

Steve

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Will try to conform more to this chart:

Major League Baseball Player Height Chart

Major League Baseball Player Weight Chart

Steve

Updated Wednesday, April 17 2013 @ 10:45:26 am PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Another interesting article on batting left, throwing right:

Bats left, throws right

Linking mostly for my own reference.

Steve
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That is some interesting stuff.

See what I mean about the lefty throwing SS, 2B, and 3B? He notes the only three guys who have done it in the article.

Around 15% of the right handed throwing players in the game should hit left handed, 15-20% should be switch hitters, and 65-70% should hit righty. That is if you want to bring this game into line with MLB statistics.

Right now I don't think there are any players who throw right and hit left.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
Utah Dodgers

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great article and very interesting.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
@curtisp5286

I have adjusted the heights, weights & handedness of players, but those will just be the new prospects. It will take a few seasons before the change truly filters through the game.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |