Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Management option to set "The infield draws in. " to NEVER!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The pragmatist in me wonders why this example bothers you. It was fly out, line out, line out. Drawing the infield in did no harm.

Personal opinion is that the manager was entirely within his rights drawing the infield in here. With the analytics revolution in MLB managers are much more aggressive with this tactic when the data suggests it will work. I've seen it in the 1st inning. Waiting for the 9th is passe.

That said, in this example after the sac fly there is no reason for the infield to stay in. No runner at 3B, middle infield should be playing for the double play.

So my question is - does the infield ever undraw in? Is it something that happens stealthily without remark in the game report? Or once it's in it's in?
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, there is one obvious case where the infield should do everything to prevent one run from scoring: A potential walk-off. If there's only one half-inning left to come back, it's probably a matter of taste, or depending on how your team is built. If there is more than one half-inning left, I side with hurstdm: I would trust my bats to get that one run back and rather not risk putting the game out of reach.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

So my question is - does the infield ever undraw in? Is it something that happens stealthily without remark in the game report? Or once it's in it's in?

I think the infield goes to normal after the score based on results I've seen. I'll keep my eyes open for future examples. Hopefully Steve will see this and just give us the definitive answer.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have little commentary to add. But here are a few more data points for anyone interested:

1. Seventh inning

2. Ninth inning, twice

3. Ninth inning

4. Seventh inning
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would love to have the ability to set this to never. Every time I see the infield come in, I have a gut feeling from past experiences that a hit is about to happen or a run is about to score. It just seems like it constantly happens.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bumping this thread to suggest it again. Bottom of the 8th here. Never means never.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Amen. +1. I would love a "never" option.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe the logic just needs to be tweaked so this happens less often. Do you have a example of when this shouldn't happen, but did?

Steve
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, we're happy to have this conversation but there's already several examples (six?) and a lot of discussion linked up the thread. I'm sure most people think it's fine, but you're still talking about sensitivity or "when?" and some of us are obviously asking for an option just to make it "never". The Moo Cows think the only clear, obvious time to bring the infield in is in the ninth or extra innings when just one run will end the game. Everyone else is likely to have different opinions about other situations and when it "should" happen. We'd just rather avoid all "in" infields - even the clear, obvious ones - than have it stay the way it is.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's another one: The top of the 7th.

If you're in a coding mood, the "in" infield is only a tiny issue. Fix managers instead, please?

Updated Friday, May 14 2021 @ 3:38:32 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |