Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Roster moves: A few thoughts.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm running a pretty skinny bench with a full 50 on my roster. If I want to replace a player in the Majors, I have to promote a player from AAA as a placeholder (and give him a raise in the process) in order to cut the player I want to replace. This made me think a bit, and I have a few of ideas to pitch:

1: Don't raise salaries automatically. Make a player either appear in a game or be in the Majors for that week's training update before giving them the bigger paycheck.

2: Add a "chopping block" setting somewhere, possibly the Reassign Players page. There should be four player options here: One pitcher and position player each from the Majors and Minors, with the same check necessary to confirm this setting as there is to release a player. Then, if you sign a player or win a waiver with a full roster, the appropriate player on the chopping block (as determined by whether the new player is a pitcher or not and what his recommended level would be) would be cut and replaced by the new player. This replacement would only happen if there was a player on the appropriate chopping block, meaning that once a player was chopped, the chopping block for that position would be vacated and need to be set back up before another player could be acquired in this fashion -- no replacing half of a full roster on one lucky waiver night, in other words.

3: Put players into the correct level when they're signed. You already do this with draft picks, so why not with waiver or free agent signings? In case of a full Majors roster (and assuming the chopping block idea has not been implemented), sure, go ahead and stash the new arrival in AAA until there's room for him, but otherwise put him where he belongs. It doesn't really make a lot of sense that the 17-year-old draft picks go straight to Rookie ball, but not the 17-year-old kid you just signed that some other team C&R'd.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
My thought is it's your choice to manage a full 50 or 48 or whatever. The items you are pointing out are the price you pay to carry a full 50. I don't think any changes are needed to the system. We all get to that point where we are at 50 and there are some enticing free agents and have to decide to make a cut or not go after anybody. No sense changing the system when you as a manager can just adjust to the settings.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think #1 is very reasonable though.

Especially for newbie teams that accidentally promote their youth to play in spring training. If they only went up in salary have they had at least one appearance in a major league game, that could help with other issues in the game beyond the issue mentioned here.

I do agree that the particular issue raised is one that can be handled by proper (if sometimes painful) management decisions. Its a big part of the game. I have to cut guys I don't want to all the time ;)
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't understand the objection to the pay rise. Whether or not the player gets on the field of play he is now a major league.
Also that increase only happens once;it costs no more to promote the player again.
It does beg the question whether AAA players should cost more than AA players and so on.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

newbie teams that accidentally promote their youth to play in spring training

crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I get it might be an accident, but does that happen much?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've seen quite a few new players (including myself when I was new) assume that you need to promote guys temporarily to the majors in order to play them during spring training. So they promote their minor league players. Have 20 players go from 20K to 50K salaries, and then demote them at the end of spring training. Not on the roster for a single major league game, but now costing 600K more per year (combined).

I don't think its a critical thing to fix. Just a nice to have to prevent a few rage quits. If it happens to also make roster manipulations a little easier, then that is just a bonus.

Updated Wednesday, August 16 2017 @ 8:22:36 pm PDT
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
OK. I believe that if any change is made that the main driver should be what helps the simulation then decide how best to implement it in a way that prevents players from making mistakes or using it to an unintended advantage.
So in this case it makes sense to me that the player's salary change when added to the major league squad but then is there something that can be done to stop newbies making this mistake, for example better documentation or a dialogue box issuing a warning under certain circumstances.

Previous Page | Show All |