Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Orosco takes the mound to pitch.
Lee hits a double to center field.
Gonzales draws a walk.
Barrera comes in to pitch.
Barrera throws a wild pitch. Lee advances to third base. Gonzales advances to second base.
Ordonez pops out to second base.
Montoya is intentionally walked.
Valenzuela allows a passed ball. Lee comes in to score. Gonzales advances to third base. Montoya advances to second base.
Prado is intentionally walked.
Jefferson comes in to pitch.

Barrera's hook is 1.
He got a guy to pop out, threw a wild pitch, and walked two intentionally. All of that took 12 pitches, which is well under his limit... still he's out because the two intentional walks count the same as if he just couldn't throw a strike and walked two.

If it's not too much of a hassle, it might be worth making it so an intentional pass doesn't count against a pitcher's hook.

Updated Friday, August 4 2017 @ 6:04:07 pm PDT
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No one liked this but I'm gonna bump it anyway because it's a bit of a problem for me.

The intentional walk, being a strategic move and not necessarily an indication of a faltering pitcher (particularly relief pitchers who may have to walk the first batter they face because of what the previous pitcher did) really shouldn't count against hook.
Nor should errors, for that matter.

Say you have a reliever who has good stuff but is a little wild. If his hook is set at 2, he can come in and walk the bases loaded and even walk a run in. That's too much.
If the hook is 1, he can still walk two. Still too much for me.
So, with a guy like that, I think the hook must be 0.

The problem is, if he comes in in a jam and has to give an intentional walk to the first batter he faces, that will then be the last batter he faces.
The same with errors. Pitcher with a hook of 0 comes in and gets a ground ball but a fielder boots it. Pitcher is pulled.

In both scenarios the pitcher did nothing wrong but is still out of the game.

Previous Page | Show All |