Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Idea About Waiver Claims   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Normal people say +1 so is -1 against the law or something?
itsjustmath

Plymouth Pilgrims
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I often thought about there being a draft pick compensation based on the quality of player that was lost and losing a pick based on the quality of a player signed. Since you can't trade away players.
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry to bump an old discussion, but I just came across this thread and really like the idea. At the risk of making things too complicated, for something like this to work, I think you'd also need to have that winning waiver claims would reduce your chances of winning claims in the future. The waiver wire would then act a bit like trading, where the value traded is determined by the number of claims.

This season it looks like my team will finish 6th. Ideally, I'd like to see some mechanism where I could move some current assets for future value. For example, a good bullpen arm like Stewart might be more valuable to someone else, but there's almost no incentive for me to cut him. I don't think the extra money, playing time or roster space is strong enough, as I've got a lot of other worse players with minimal value that I'll get rid of first if needed.

I don't mind the system as it is, but I think that this idea would be more fun because it would allow more aggressive roster building. But you'd also have to think carefully about who to target, rather than just slapping claims on anyone decent. Contending teams might also release more prospects than we see on waivers now, which rebuilding teams could target. It would also reduce the randomness of waivers a bit, but I don't think it would be any less equitable.

Updated Sunday, June 17 2018 @ 6:17:33 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Once you have been with the game a bit longer, and have rebuilt your team, you will find that you don't just claim every decent player. You will have to think a lot more about who you put claims on. In general, you need to have a plan for your system, having 6 1B/DH doesn't do you any good, and uses up spots you need for other players.

You still have 4-5 more years from Steward. No reason for you to drop him if you think he is decent. He can help your team as much as the next guy. Dumping rosters to tank and rebuild is generally a bad thing in multiplayer games like this. I think its good we don't encourage that sort of behavior in this game. You have to be more strategic in your moves. I personally never tank. I think its a more interesting challenge to keep your dynasty going strong once you have built it up.

That said, if you are sure the ship is going down and you want to save some money, it probably wouldn't hurt to cut a few of the pricier 30+ year old guys. That is the main incentive for people cutting good players. Its the reason I cut my stud manager last year.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that implementing something like this would put your team at a big disadvantage. I doubt you would get many takers for that guy. You'd be dropping a player to try and get something, but get little in return. Essentially just weakening your team. On the other hand, many of the Legend Teams have had ridiculous luck in the draft and are gorged with talent. So if they cut the worst guy on their roster, they are likely to get a lot of interest. Teams at the top would benefit the most from this. Meaning, they would get to claim all the good players, and you would have nothing to rebuild your team with.

Updated Monday, June 18 2018 @ 8:31:00 am PDT
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for reading, and you make some good points. Hopefully we'll eventually get to the point where the cuts become tough decisions! I'm definitely not trying to tank, just that looking at my league I thought that our team was the weakest, and I didn't see how we could quickly change that without multiple expensive FAs. We had almost no minor league system when I took over (I think I've only kept 3 players), so it's taking some time to build but it is looking a bit better now. And as for having no plan and winding up with 6 DHs... well I am an Orioles fan after all...
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@tamale you only have 1 1B/DH for certain in your minors right now,so you’re not in bad shape there. As to winning waiver claims,I always run with 46/47 players to allow myself room to win multiple claims. It works very well for me. I have rebuilt my minors quite nicely the last 2 seasons thru waiver claims. Most guys will tell you to always run with 49 but this way is working great for me 👍
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@tamale you only have 1 1B/DH for certain in your minors right now,so you’re not in bad shape there. As to winning waiver claims,I always run with 46/47 players to allow myself room to win multiple claims. It works very well for me. I have rebuilt my minors quite nicely the last 2 seasons thru waiver claims. Most guys will tell you to always run with 49 but this way is working great for me 👍
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Haha, hopefully I was referring more to 2018 O's nihilism than my own team there... and that's an interesting approach. I've generally tried to keep it flexible, usually having 49 but maybe opening up more spots if I want another player I have a decent chance at getting (usually they've been better than the guys I cut). At least I don't think I've missed out due to having a full roster yet.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@tamale

O's fans unite!
My team's built around taking walks and stealing bases, because I wanted to give a huge middle finger to Duquette :)
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Haha nice one! My way of doing that so far has been drafting lots of players from Latin America... unfortunately though we've been hitting a bit like the O's

Previous Page | Show All |