Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Some suggestions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
so its about the type of competion, being good over the course of a full season or just the one or to two weeks at the the end of the season
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
well...being from the North American continent...i guess i might be a little bit biased towards a playoff system...but usually the champion is the best team (especially in a series based playoff vs a one and done style)...yes...injuries can affect a series but then the winner is the best TEAM not just the team with the best starters...

and if you want to throw injuries in there...you could say that the season standings could be affected by injuries as well...if a teams star pitcher or star hitter is out for a long period of time...it could mean the difference between 1st or 2nd...so it's the same thing...a key injury at the wrong time could mean the difference between winning a playoff or not and the difference between winning your conference or taking second...

plus...i can't say with certainty...but i would think that Steve's game engine would be built to allow the best team to win the majority of the time with the allowance for an upset...but...if the game engine consistantly allows the best team to win at least 57% of the time...(or 4 out of 7 games)...then the best team will win the playoff series...and as long as you have the best team...you have nothing to worry about
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I like the playoffs. I know they don't decide who gets to promote, but since we got two conference leagues, the playoffs are needed to find the best team in that league, and that is a nice finish to the season.

Having said that, I wouldn't like promotions to be decided in the playoffs. I agree with amunra's argument here. I know that in North America people are used to everything being decided in the playoffs, and that's what happens in MLB as well, but then again there are no promotions or relegations there, so I say let promotions be handled in broken bat as they are now.

I'm warming up on the idea of a four team playoff. In MLB 10 out of 30 teams make it to the playoffs, 1 out of 3, so perhaps broken bat should adopt that same ratio.

I've give it some thought and it would be possible to do this without extending the off-season, if we stretch the calendar over those 2 days at the end of the season where nothing happens (next sunday and monday).

With these new days we could add the playoffs semis, a 5 game series, 2 matches in the first day and 3 matches in the second.

To avoid teams in the playoffs of getting too much benefits over the other teams, the semis would be a 5 game series instead of a 7 game series, and the prestige won here should be somewhere in between a regular match and a playoff final match.

Plus, having a 4 team playoff allows room for future expansion of the game, making it possible to have 4 conference leagues, winners going to the playoffs, therefore doubling the user capacity of the game.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I am trying to have the best of both worlds here. Like Europe, I have based promotion on winning your division. And like the States, the league champion is determined via playoffs.

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
you doing a great job Steve!

a league with 2 divisions need atleast one playoff series, of course.

I could also like a 5-game division series but dont inlcude promotion in this process. --> new Trophies :)
ltm0011

Newburgh Nationals
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
I like things as is when it comes to playoffs!
My two cents.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
how about this for a playoff suggestion?

top team in each conference gets promoted

top 2 from each conference makes the playoffs

playoff games offer players 1.5 or 2 times as much experience(maybe first round (conference round) offers 1.5 times exp and second round (finals) offers 2 times exp)

winner gets the prestige

this way...we have the winner of the conference getting promoted...so it's something to fight for...but all who make the playoffs do get benefits...most teams say that they would like a player with playoff experience...and this would kind of relate to that...a player that spends a lot of time in the playoffs is in the end going to be better than someone who never makes it...
Sweetness

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How about the top two teams in the Eastern and Western divisions play seven games and whoever wins the series in the division plays in the championship and the first place teams in the East and Western divisions play a championship series of seven games and whoever the winner is earns prestige and the first place teams promote and the second place teams stay in the division they were in during the season.

Updated Wednesday, July 10 2013 @ 6:23:22 pm PDT
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
if you've been following along...having playoffs decide who gets promoted is not an overly popular notion
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes...I think performance over the full season is probably the fairest metric to determine promotion.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |