Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Retired Players As Managers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
L1011Widebody

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In my opinion, this game is missing out on a tremendous opportunity. Very few sports management sims that I have seen keep records of retired players in such detailed fashion as this one. To that end, it would be *amazing* if we were able to hire former players as managers. For one thing, you would be able to immediately tell where their strengths and weaknesses were in development. And it would add a great sense of continuity to a game that lets you have hall of famers and such.

A second facet of this might be to include a new 'leadership' rating of some such... I'm not sure what effect it would have on the actual game mechanics, perhaps a slight boost when teams go on a long streak. Something where a player would accumulate leadership 'points' or something depending on how long they played the game, and perhaps an added bonus for staying with the same team. This is something you see a lot in real life sports, where the long-time home-town hero goes on to become the coach. Jack Del Rio, Dan Bylsma, Bill Russell, Bart Starr, Dan Reeves, Larry Bird, Phil Jackson, Jim Harbaugh, Scott Stevens, Yogi Berra, Patrick Roy, etc...

It would also breathe so much life and character into the game that already people like to make personable.

To that end I would also like to see more management depth overall. Hitting and pitching coaches would be great, since we already have a slew (a plethora?) of options to allocate training resources to. Having a coach that specializes in whatnot would be a great thing.

On a further note, to expand way out on a limb here, it would be neat if hiring a former player gave a bonus boost to fan mood. Seeing the guy that was your hero growing up, now he's managing the team, that makes people happy.

Updated Monday, July 24 2017 @ 5:08:55 pm PDT
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I second this. I would love to continue to have my cornerstones on the team in some capacity, and putting one in as a manager would be great.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I love this idea. I already call my old retired C/1B my batting coach as flavor text, it would be wonderful to make that official.

Adding retired players as batting/fielding/pitching coaches would add more complexity, true. However, if they took over the player development side of things while existing managers continued handling the tactical side, it could lead to a lot more players feeling they’re being screwed by not having a good all-around manager. Let’s face it, the current manager system generates more grumpiness from owners than anything in the game, with the possible exception of bad early-round draft picks and long streaks of waiver whiffs. Something like this would give us one more aspect of playing where we feel we have some control over our team’s direction.
cboy619

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I love this idea too...I've had players that when in the lineup everyone else seems to play better. I wish I could harness that into a manager type role.
Crazy9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is the best Idea I seen in a long time. This would just add so much more depth to the game
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see the appeal, and certainly don't see how this would add any depth, but I also don't see an issue if Steve wanted to add this cosmetic change.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I don't really see how this is going to change the game, but I guess it would be cool to be able to change the name of your manager to that of a retired player.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Double post

Updated Saturday, August 19 2017 @ 1:50:45 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |