Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> BO5 on Cup Quarterfinals+   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Given the recent cup clown fiesta. How about starting in the round of 8 or cup quarterfinals, the series is switched to a best of 5. A best of 5 would diminish a bit the effect of range.

These series would take place in a day, similar to the 5 game schedule during interdivisional play. Clear effects of these changes are cosmetic and pitcher fatigue. On the cosmetic side, maybe the season ends on a different game date (for example today it ended on Aug 31st, 2031), does that really matter too much?

When considering the fatigue, quarter finals would be during the interdivisional play, the semifinals after ending interdivisional, and finals during divisional play. So this would affect only 8 teams in a small extent by adding another 5 game series sandwiched between league 5 game series.

Updated Monday, April 17 2017 @ 5:42:06 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Certainly, 5 games series are less likely to have upsets compared with shorter series. But do we want the same Legends teams in the cup final every year??

Steve

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No. The Cup is great the way it is.
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see any reason to change the cup procedure.

Lately it seems like people are looking for a way to get an advantage by changing things instead of just enjoying the game.

No, I have not made any lists or taken any notes of prospective changes. But the forums have been quite active with potental changes.
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't think that there would only be legends teams in the round of 8.

Anyways I could see both arguments, just wanted to put the idea out there given the current cup run.

However I resent the attitude of "stop trying to get an advantage by changing the status quo and just be happy with the way things are". Impermanence is a fact of life, no need in expecting things to remain the same.

I wholeheartedly believe that most of the proposals are coming from a good place, especially from those that have been around for a while and understand the game. Have not seen any with the intent of "how can my team be better and screw everyone else".

In my case, I'm going on 12 seasons (over 2 and a half years) and I honestly enjoy the game. Much of the enjoyment comes from the positive reinforcement inherent in the game in way of prompting. Therefore I don't see the problem in suggesting ideas that piggy back on this concept, be it giving more options to a manager for drafting talent or mechanisms to reduce the RNG effects.

If I misunderstood your sentiment, I would like to apologize. Late nights writing scientific articles and thesis leaves me slightly out of it.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea. I think "less" upsets is still going to result in a lot of upsets, so I don't see an issue with just top teams climbing the ladder.

I see fatigue as the bigger issue. Steve has already expressed some heartburn over teams choosing not to participate in the cup. More games does mean more free experience, but also more fatigue and more chance of injury. My biggest concern would be if this drove more teams to opt out of the cup. But I suppose one argument is that most of those teams are gone in the first couple rounds anyhow.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Two things:

Parity. There is much more parity than there was when I started. There is significant talent at different levels.

Upsets. Some upsets are in name only. Just because anything can happen in a 3 game series, and it can, doesn't mean the best team didn't win.

Updated Wednesday, April 19 2017 @ 11:10:44 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Upsets. Some upsets are in name only.

Think this is a solid point. The format is particularly good for "one piece away" teams that lack the depth to challenge in league.

There is lag naturally built into the system. Once assembled, it takes time for a team to develop. Once developed, it takes time for a team to climb.

I was fortunate enough to reach the cup final a few seasons back and played a III team. Two seasons later that III team was in Legends. I think this is fairly common. When lower division teams do well in the cup, I give them the "I'm watching you". Good chance these are risers.

I would add that I don't like the idea of the format changing part way through. 2/3 emphasizes top end talent. If you've got a couple decent starters and a dream, you can do well in the cup. An expansion shifts the focus to depth. Playing 6 elimination rounds stressing top end talent (eliminating teams with depth) and then shifting the focus to depth does not feel right to me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the 5 game part of the suggestions, but not the switching part way through part. I'd say if we went to 5 games it should be all the way through (at least after the group stage).

Previous Page | Show All |