Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Make it easier to find good managers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ihocreturns

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The current system is such a waste of time.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There has to be a creative solution to this that makes the process more realistic and more in line with the rest of the game.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm still for any of the three simplest solutions.
1. Eliminate them completely; they all become all tens. Ah, it was great in the good ol' days. :)
2. Make them all net zero managers; their totals equal the same number, but their values are randomly created by the game generator.
3. Make them all net zero managers, but let owners create the distributions.

In my opinion, the new managers are far and away the worst change to the game since I've joined. It's only one of two that I can immediately think of that lessened the sim. (The other is not allowing runners to advance on any line drive.)

Updated Tuesday, April 11 2017 @ 5:08:23 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the changing the managers themselves ship has sailed. A more interesting/workable/realistic way to find them is the problem I think we can tackle.

The two that I thought of, but didn't seem to get much support:

1 - Make all newly generated managers 35 years old. This would make finding the newly generated ones much easier. It would also explain why they start at all 10's and grow. Little weird for a 65 year old to improve from the current baseline. As a bonus, you could keep a manager for his entire career building his HoF credentials as he goes. Hard to do that with a 65 year old who just happens to have the best build.

2 - Percolate newly generated managers up through the minors starting the newest in Rookie. This was outlined in more detail in another thread, but it would basically allow owners to monitor minor league managers over the course of four seasons and "scout" the ones they might be interested in hiring who would promote from AAA to the majors at random times throughout the season. I think this would be a little more interesting and realistic than the current search method which is so "gamey" that it actually ruins the experience for me like cheat codes in a console game.

I'd love to hear some other ideas along these lines. Something that actually resembles baseball would be ideal.

Updated Tuesday, April 11 2017 @ 5:24:39 am PDT
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hm..

Managers as prospective minor league coaches is interesting. To be realistic though, you'd have to allow the possiblity of signing away someone else's minor league coach. For example, a rookie manager from team "A" could be signed as a "A" manager by team b. Maybe give team "A" 72 hours to promote him to A and retain his services. The problem with that is you're going to have to create a 'draft' of managers, etc.

To me, the real problem is that player training is a major part to climbing the talent ladder over time.

I'd actually set everyone's training at '10' and then allow the teams to hire a few coaches for 'one on one' instruction that would give a bonus to development. You have that stud rookie that you want to go pro at 22 and not 24? Coach him up. Late bloomer who's behind on development? Same deal.

Maybe coaches allow you to push the build a few points. Guy with a great build except for that 'wild' control issue? Coach him up to below average. Nothing major but 2-3 points beyond their normal cap gives owners a chance to take a flyer on the non-perfect builds.

Maybe the coach can spend his time evaluating the talent of a new player so you get a 'true reveal' a little sooner - a projection of where the guy will actually end up so you can cut your losses.

Each use would take time to develop. Maybe 1/2 a season per point if you're talking about pushing beyond a barrier, a full season of coaching might develop 3-4 points over a full season, or a full season of evaluation to get a true reveal with the accuracy improving over time.

Having 2-3 coaches that can push a couple of points around here and there would be kinda interesting but not unbalancing to me.

I wouldn't think it would take a significant programming effort either since it's just a toggle / effect. You wouldn't rate the 'coaches' - they just do their thing. You'd have to keep track of stuff like if a cap had been pushed if that was actually included.

You COULD replace managers 'player development' with 'coaching management' meaning how MANY coaches they can coordinate with the lowest being 1 and the most being maybe 4.

Updated Tuesday, April 11 2017 @ 8:07:28 am PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball

3. Make them all net zero managers, but let owners create the distributions.

I’m in favor of this one, and even suggested something very much like it not all that long ago. If this is supposed to be a baseball management simulator, then let us, the players, be the managers.

Updated Tuesday, April 11 2017 @ 9:23:37 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Do we really want Steve to go in and redo the managers again? I'd rather see a fix for finding them (using the browser itself instead of an in-game search really strains realism/suspension of disbelief for me) and then have him move on to something new. Every time he returns to the managers, we miss out on something he could have been working on instead.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree that trying to find a new manager is clunky and not any fun. I'm not certain about some of these radical revisions being suggested, but at a minimum a major change in how we search for managers would be welcome.

To be frank, I think even an annual manager draft (like a player draft but with potential managers) would be better than the current system. That at least could simulate interviewing several managers at once, which is somewhat realistic. If you liked your current guy, you don't have to draft anyone. Then the existing manager search could remain as a way to search through the castoffs.

Updated Wednesday, April 12 2017 @ 7:48:56 am PDT

Updated Wednesday, April 12 2017 @ 7:49:31 am PDT
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Couldn't a column be added in the search for managers for date added to pool? This would essentially allow anyone to see who was added to the pool since the last time they checked.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Brent, that's a straightforward solution that would improve the process a lot. I like that.

Previous Page | Show All |