III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
? You going to code it then?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
-1 to this idea.

If you want to keep your roster at the 50 player max, you can - you just can't sign free agents/waiver claims. Can't have your cake and eat it!
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
"? You going to code it then?"

Of course not, but neither is Crazy Li for that matter.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
How are you assessing it would be easy. It doesn't look that simple to me. Lot of edge cases and dependencies. Lots of potential to break things. But I am a developer, so I might view it differently than you.

Updated Tuesday, March 7 2017 @ 2:48:58 pm PST
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, I guess I should clarify that the idea I was supporting was the contingency drops. I guess if you're talking about his suggested interface changes, then I agree that's probably somewhat complex.

However, there really wouldn't be that much complexity for a contingency drop. At the resolution of a waiver claim, the algorithm must already check for a full roster. So you could add a couple more steps in which it checks for an assigned contingency player. If it finds one it drops the player and awards the claim. If it doesn't, then the waiver claim is lost like normal.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The drop itself is probably not a lot of code, but you do need UI and other components to support its usage. You also need to ensure the correct checks are in place. Imagine the screaming the first time someone loses their Ace because the wrong player was dropped. Even simple changes create more work than its seems should be needed (mostly because all computers are evil gremlins in disguise and code will also intentionally follow the letter of the law rather than the obvious spirit of what you tell it to do ;)).

Personally, if Steve was going to play with the UI, I'd rather he beefed up the lineup UI to handle failures more gracefully (instead of giving us the white screen, letting us make modifications to our existing selection).
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To clarify, the intent of this suggestion isn't to change the way anything works, just to make it more convenient to adjust a spot on the roster. I'm having a hard time understanding why you wouldn't want the max number of roster positions filled on your team.

When your favorite baseball team calls a player up, they immediately announce who has either been sent down, traded, or released.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well a call-up/send down can already be done in the same motion. So can a call-up/release. There's no trading in this game either, so that sounds like a bad example.

I just don't personally feel the suggestion is worth the effort and the part relating to waiver claims, just a way to cheat the system.
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cheat the system? please explain...

Contingency drops are pretty must standard operating procedure in fantasy sports and I thought that it could be something that would benefit BrokenBat.

Regardless if BB has trades or not, that's not the point, when one player is removed there is always another player inserted in.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
My experience with contingency drops is they are usually implemented in Fantasy Football games where the roster size is very limited. Managing the last roster spot can be very tricky in Fantasy Football especially with bye weeks.

In Broken Bat, your roster size is 50 players and half of them are minor leaguers who are just in the development stage. It seems like managing this type of roster is a bit different.

We had a few other suggestions like expanding the roster side to 51/52 to make room for additions or holding new signees in some off-roster spot until an owner wants assign them. But it all basically comes down to the fact that with 50 slots this shouldn't be that difficult especially compared to Fantasy Football with a five player bench and losing 1-3 players on some bye weeks.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |