Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Bidding for Free Agents   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball... I think it is trying to sign a good free agent on here. ;-)

I've been trying to sign some good free agents but I have only been successful maybe 10% of the time, not for trying either, I generally check in at least every two hours or so when i am awake.

I think it is a fair system but I think it could be better because it does favor active players, and even then it is tough.

I was thinking that while a player is on waivers owners could make bids and the highest bid would be displayed. The player would eventually choose the highest bid. You could leave the random timing as to when a player comes off waivers as this would simulate a player who makes a quick decision or one who takes his time. You could add further realism to this by allowing owners to withdraw their bids, doing that would add a great dynamic as it could both benefit and be a loss for both players and owners.

I also understand that this would be a huge undertaking, but just a suggestion really as I know you are already thinking about the free agent system.

Thanks!
Go Beaves!
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Two features you would need for this to keep it fair would be that onwners need to finish paying a players contract for a full season after they release a player who has been with the team for less than a full season, or until that player signs another contract.

And, should an owner not be able to pay his or her players, the players will quit (starting with the highest paid player down until the owner can make payroll) and refuse to sign with that owner for 2 or 3 seasons.
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you are getting 10% of the players you are targeting, you are being more successful than most. If you make it a bidding war, the teams in the higher leagues have way more money and the belly aching will begin on that issue. While I think it's great that we get to make suggestions and Steve is veryresponsive and accommodating, he should just make the game he wants to make. So far I find he knows what he's doing.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, we continue to debate exactly how the handle free agency and I have my eye on the issue. Because the economy was relatively immature in previous seasons, teams were allowed to spend large amounts on salaries without any restrictions. Now, many of those clubs no longer have the cash to sign free agents so I’d like to see how things work out. Additionally, we are trying to encourage people to develop players from the minor leagues as the best alternative to re-stocking their major league roster.

At some point, we’ll be making changes to free agency. Exactly what’s the best approach is still under discussion.

Steve
Dew South

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As a person that has also "piped up" about the Free Agents, I also want to say how IMPRESSED I am with Steve and all he's done with this game. It isn't many people that are so open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks for being so open to ideas and for all you do, Steve!
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, this is not a thread about Steve's ability on the admining and creation of the site... i think we are all agreed that this is the best baseball sim out there... and its free! No complaints here but this is the suggestion forum so that is what i was doing.

I agree on the point about higher level teams having an advantage in bidding wars, I didn't think of that.

I also think the anwser is to build a farm system, I think i have been doing a good job of that, but was hoping to get a few good players 27~28 years old to fill in while the younger guys develop... namely this season, catcher and 2B have a bit of a gap. I was successful on the catcher... 2b not so much.

but this is great discussion
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't mean to imply we should "shut up". I've put in my share of suggestions. I still think that the way to remedy the whole thing is through the economic system. Make it too expensive to load up on a gazillion expensive free agents and make it cheaper to sign your own homegrown prospects. I also try to think about Steve's database and try to not suggest things that will blow it up.
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes the database to create what i had in mind would be huge, and i like your idea as it encourages the farm system.

Previous Page | Show All |