Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> climate change   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

1. pick a major city for each geographic region and build a database for each day from april thru October that reflects what the wind speed and direction was and what the weather type was (ex. sunny, rainy, cloudy) was for that day in 2015.

2.do not disclose the wind speed and direction until the game starts.

3. have the direction and strength of wind affect the flight of fly balls and determine the weather type from the information in the database.

4. have the general manager choose which direction he wants center field to be in relation to home plate before the season starts. (east,west,north,south).

5.when making out the schedule, designate whether it is a day or night game.

6. If it is a day game and it is sunny make one of the outfields a sun field for innings 1
thru 4 and increase the chances of that
outfielder losing ball in sun.

7. If it is a sunny day game and your center field is west of home plate make it harder for the batter to see the pitch starting after the combined pitch count of both teams hit 180 pitches thru 220 pitches.

8. have a hidden trait that would affect the batting average in varying degrees of 5% of the players for night games. Maintain day and night game batting averages for all players.

Updated Thursday, December 15 2016 @ 7:27:02 pm PST

Updated Thursday, December 15 2016 @ 7:28:34 pm PST

Updated Thursday, December 15 2016 @ 7:30:15 pm PST

Updated Thursday, December 15 2016 @ 7:31:01 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
1. pick a major city for each geographic region and build a database for each day from april thru October that reflects what the wind speed and direction was and what the weather type was (ex. sunny, rainy, cloudy) was for that day in 2015.

This is a ton of work to do it by city. That's why we do it by region. You think weather should be more reflective of the locations though?

2.do not disclose the wind speed and direction until the game starts.

That's the case now, right?

3. have the direction and strength of wind affect the flight of fly balls and determine the weather type from the information in the database.

Yes, that's happening.

4. have the general manager choose which direction he wants center field to be in relation to home plate before the season starts. (east,west,north,south).

5.when making out the schedule, designate whether it is a day or night game.

Okay...that's a possibility.

6. If it is a day game and it is sunny make one of the outfields a sun field for innings 1
thru 4 and increase the chances of that
outfielder losing ball in sun.

Hmmm...probably need more discussion about this.

7. If it is a sunny day game and your center field is west of home plate make it harder for the batter to see the pitch starting after the combined pitch count of both teams hit 180 pitches thru 220 pitches.

Hmmm...again more discussion is probably necessary.

8. have a hidden trait that would affect the batting average in varying degrees of 5% of the players for night games. Maintain day and night game batting averages for all players.

Are there some batters that hit batter in night versus day games in RL? I haven't really seen statistics to that affect.

Are there hidden values in Broken Bat?

Anyway, these are all good suggestions. I'm just not sure how deep the simulation should go. 3rd inning sun related outfield errors for west facing ballparks is pretty deep for a game where players consist primary of a handful of skills.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Reduction and Abstraction are critical elements of game design.

These are all interesting concepts, and they make a LOT of sense for modeling. I'm just not sure what they bring to the game. To me, unless something results in a trade-off decision for the game players, then it is a target for reduction or abstraction. Things like night/day, wind direction, etc. are all things that can be easily abstracted into "Conditions", which I think Steve is already doing.

Honestly I don't even look at the Weather screen. I can't control the Weather, and it isn't a big enough factor for my line-up decisions. The factor exists and I could make trade-off decisions based on weather, so I don't think it should be removed. I just think its working about right as is.
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Steve,

You got a great game going on here. I was just trying to guess what the game will look like in the 22nd century when your granddaughter is running the show and the general managers will have a lot more leisure time (like me) because of the twenty hour work week.

My hidden trait is that you can only take me seriously 10% of the time.

Question. when the wind is blowing out is it blowing out to all fields.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about the home/away trait. That one is not even hidden.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Rock, even if Steve put that stuff in (which would be cool), would it really affect our lineup or pitching decisions? My backups tend to either be significantly worse (or better if I have the rookies starting) than my starters in my lineup. In the case of pitchers the lefty vs righty split is really by far the most crucial in my experience, with only match-up history right with it.

Seems like a lot of coding and extra space in the DB for no real gameplay advantage. In short, as long as there are real things we would like to improve, I would backburner this stuff.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Question. when the wind is blowing out is it blowing out to all fields.

Yes

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I guess the question is, should weather be dependent on the location? Right now it's not, but I'm leaning towards making it regional.

Does that seem more realistic? Or more unfair?

Steve
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm, that's a toughie. On one hand, it would make more sense to have weather weighted by region (for example, Midwest would have a lot more hot, sunny days and the Northwest region would have a lot of cooler, cloudy or sprinkling days. On the other hand, with so many teams and not that much of an option to choose where you are located, it might lend an unfair advantage to teams in certain regions. Or everyone could just build domes and it wouldn't matter :D And also like Newt said, there are things I would much rather Steve spend time on (like giving us a few more managerial options) than on something that is more flavorful and that we have no control over.

Updated Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 4:30:45 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of making it realistic, but it does pose a bit of an issue with attendance. Cold & rainy areas would get fewer ticket sales than desert cities. Might need to counter balance in some way? Otherwise everyone will move their teams out of the big cities in the north to go play in the desert (where all the fans are...?)
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Something that could be reflected is the "marine layer." The west coast teams often have more pitcher friendly ballparks late into the night, due to high humidity and low temperatures. SafeCo Field is a great example of this effect.

Previous Page | Show All |