Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Two days rest   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well they don't do as well if they are fatigued, and good starters will occasionally do that in the playoffs. But I agree, the pitcher fatigue model seems a little bit generous. Especially since its the same at the start of the year as it is at the end. Pitching that many games should start to take its toll over the course of a season.

EDIT: A variation on the function I posted in this thread would achieve that. And pitchers pitching lots of games early would start to fatigue faster later in the season than those pitching in a more traditional rotation.

Updated Tuesday, October 25 2016 @ 9:28:46 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know of any modern pitcher even coming back on two days rest to start a playoff game. Madison -bleeping- Bumgarner is the closest I can think of. In the 2014 World Series he came back on two days rest to finish game seven out of the bullpen. He threw an amazing 68 pitches, which was more than anyone expected. He just kept recording outs against my Royals, so they rode him to victory.

In 2001, Randy Johnson threw 104 pitches in a blowout win for the Diamondbacks in game six of the World Series. The late innings of game seven got extremely interesting. Mariano Rivera blew the save for the Yankees and Arizona brought in the Big Unit to throw the final 17 pitches with zero days rest, notching his third win of the Series. Crazy stuff.

I don't think you can use either instance of final World Series game heroics as a standard of what can or should happen in regular games. I'm completely fine with pitching on three days rest, but I don't believe anyone has routinely started games on two days rest for around a century.

Updated Tuesday, October 25 2016 @ 10:57:11 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This was a pet issue of mine a few season's ago.

It extends into the bullpen. Bullpen usage is also a little unrealistic. I always have a 100+ game reliever (this is part fatigue and part the BB schedule which has more off-days than MLB).

Fatigue is part of pitcher effectiveness. Wonder if that is a dial that might be adjusted - try fatigue having a more significant impact on performance, and see if that makes pitcher usage is more realistic.

Updated Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 2:31:28 pm PDT
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
look at shcedule somtimes it;s realy diffrent from the real days like 1-2 dyas rare do i see pitcher who really pitched game 1 then some one pu thim in game 3 this would be on purpose and requirs the team owner to change pitching for it to happen in this sim like i said the schedule is more less 5 dyas reast before a starter makes another start or 4 depends on the settings of the pitching page 4man rotaion and then have some one change theem manual evry day then yes a pitcher will pitch on 2days rest but it's forced by the team owner and i think with fatique in game steve nails it i mean a pitcher with heavy fatique pitches 2 games in 3 days he will be loosing or not pitch a full game
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Is there an example of somebody using 2-days rest for their starters?

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Tempe used Copeland on 6/12/2029 and 6/15/2029, throwing 102 and 101 pitches, respectively. Game IDs 2213166 and 2213214.

Using the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach, the manager for Margate threw Alvarez on 6/22/2029 and 6/25/2029. His stamina is lower so he was only used for 91 and 82 pitches. Games IDs 2213286 and 2213334.

I just realized my two days rest thing might be misleading. To be clear, they had two days off and then threw on the third. In other words, during divisional play they could essentially go with a three-man rotation. Obviously that's not possible with inter-divisional play due to the double-header day.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
My sense is that most of the short rest oddities occur from using a 4 man rotation through inter-division (as both inter-division and the cup schedule have double headers built in). There probably aren't very many managers intentional using a 3 man rotation.

The first example that came to my mind was Bellan. This 10 stamina pitcher started July 20 (8&2/3, 5H, 3BB), was given July 21 to rest, then started against the Dinos July 22 (7&2/3, 3H, 2BB).

I'm not expecting arms to fall off. But I think the chances of pitching brilliantly on such short rest should be low.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Ah...I see. You're right, during the inter-division games if you have a 4-man rotation, then the first game pitcher would pitch games 1 and 5 and have have only two days full rest because of the double header.

In this case, it's not like the team was running a 3-man rotation.

Steve

Updated Friday, October 28 2016 @ 11:38:44 pm PDT
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@MukilteoMike shhhh! Stop revealing all my secrets

In defence of my approach, 100 pitches is probably less than he could throw (17 Stam) and Copeland comes back after starts with about 40-50% energy. I prefer to use my bullpen as much as possible and the 3 days rest thing has more to do with losing my 3rd starter for 20+ days more than just tossing Copeland out there.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lol. I'm employing it again this series with Cherry. He had been much better than my other starters, but he's coming back to the pack now so I might ditch the plan going forward.

Previous Page | Show All |