Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> New manger skill   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You know that might really be flipped. That "good potential" POT 11 might actually be an under scouted POT 12.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a fan of the suggestion.

Real life managers have nothing to do with drafting. I don't think this would be realisitc.

I would also worry that this skill, even if it were a subtle bump, might dwarf the importance of the other non-training skills. (I have no evidence, but my current "feeling" is that player development is way way more important than the other manager skills).

A more realistic approach (IMO) would be the ability to spend money on a "scouting department". This would serve as a cash sink. It wouldn't improve the quality of your draft slate, but might reveal more information about the players on it. I don't feel it is necessary tho, b/c:
- i feel we already have lots to go on
- rich get richer argument

The part about "good 11 pots" is an invitation to reopen a conversation that has been beat to death on these forums.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agreed with Seca and Rock. Leave it alone. I wasn't really a fan of manager skills either but that's beside the point. This is not to mention the huge coding challenge this would entail. Right now, every player on the game sees the same scouting report for each draftable player. This suggestion would make it so every player sees a different report. Sorry, it just wouldn't work.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not in favor of this idea, but simply hiding certain sections of a scouting report (say only level 20 scouting reveal Control comments) could be implement without a ton of coding. I don't want this simply because scouting is inexact enough already and I don't think this would bring anything that creates depth in the game. Managers are already basically a "who can get online first" game (which I cannot so I'm a little bitter).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

scouting is inexact enough already

I agree, I think it works really well right now. It seems to have a pretty good balance in general (although maybe some info on Arm strength would be good). I'd hate to ruin the balance we have right now.

Managers are already basically a "who can get online first" game

Yeah, this is the part I don't like about managers as well. I wish they had all been made to sum to an equal number so it was more about us picking where we wanted our strengths and weaknesses to be. Scouting is so critical in this game, that it would trump any other skill a manager might have...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
BTW, I was serious about that POT 12 thing. I think overall potential actually gives us more info than most people think.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Scouting is so critical in this game, that it would trump any other skill a manager might have...

I disagree completely. Player development would still trump scouting. I'm seeing great growth in all my resurrection experiments. Allowing for a 100% success rate in developing players is far more powerful than even scouting.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That depends on how great an effect you think the manager actually has on development. I have plenty of guys who aren't going to reach their potential and my manager has 17 or 18 development.

If it was a choice between some unknown bump in development that makes my guy ready two weeks earlier, or knowing whether a guy is a "very good hitter" vs. "will never be a decent batter", I'm taking scouting.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, my manager has a 20, and I'm optimistic on every one of my players. If Murillo hits his max, then we'll know that it has an effect, but that is still 3-4 seasons away.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Lol. Would appear I had a horrible idea. Did get an interesting convo going though

Previous Page | Show All |