Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Expand Minor League Roster Size   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I can see both sides. There are several times when I've wished I could have 5-10 more roster spots, but really (as Rock says) the current system works very well. I've won a number of waiver claims this year on really solid (and developing, in some cases) players this season which will really help me going forward, and if I can do that anyone can. Giving more roster spots to active managers means less talent is available to new managers.

You could argue that to improve the free agent pool teams should have less roster spots, making for even tougher roster decisions, but I doubt anyone wants to go down that route!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Is it just my opinion or are free agents getting progressively worse?

Yes, they are getting worse, but increasing roster size really won't help anything. There has been a slow and steady rise in the number of owners, resulting in more and better players on rosters overall. That has created a slightly less desirable pool of free agents.

The problem with that is a subtle one--it puts more emphasis on an entirely luck based draft system. It also rewards luck based waiver claims more, too.

The solutions are simple--add strategy and skill to the draft and waiver processes. Sadly, time and time again owners say they don't want that, so we must continue to ride the luck train.

brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll add that if the game is indeed growing in the number of people playing the game, increasing the roster size may negatively impact the game growth. It allows well established owners to hoard some additional talent but it might slow how quickly a new owner can build a talented roster. This could cause new owners to join, get disinterested, and drop out. I'm all for a system that has additional talent available for new managers to pluck and grow their team more quickly.
mikkoredsox

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure what happens to the draft pool when it gets cleared at the end of each season, but could it be dumped into free agency? There are plenty of undrafted guys that get a shot at the rookie levels in reality. Some MLB names you may recognize who went undrafted are Matt Stairs, Larry Walker, and Heath Bell. This could be a potential fix to what has been said to be a bleak free agent list. Sure the leftover scraps may not be appealing, but there's got to be a few diamonds left in the rough.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike - In a perfect world I would like to see both of the systems overhauled as well. I would love to sift through all the pools and pick out my top draft picks. There are two issues that make this difficult.

1) This is a free game. Steve is kindly donating all of us his time and efforts to put this together. And it take A LOT of time to keep a game like this up and running smoothly. Its a big ask for an overhaul.

2) While a few of us would enjoy a deeper game, it could turn a lot of players off. Finding that balance of good enough to maximize player retention can be very challenging.

Overall I think Steve has done a pretty good job finding that balance. If everyone is complaining, then you must be doing something right ;)
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
my thought is they are not really worse.
Just your teams so much stronger. To get better you need better players wich is fewer than before.
i had pick ups last season that were awsome and realesed them this year because rookies need a shot.
the smaller newer teams can still find good players to fill holes and better the teams rattings overall.
so to say the minors or free agents are worse than prvious seasons is not so much true i think minors and draft picks have gotten better overall for the game and the free agents get better because lots are being cut now to younger players
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, people have also gotten smarter about not cutting that guy with low SI who has 15 potential and is still young. There used to be at least one of those guys passing through waivers each season back in the day, but that's now gone with better informed players. I personally see that as a good thing since it creates better competition, even if it makes poor drafts more frustrating.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, people have also gotten smarter about not cutting that guy with low SI who has 15 potential and is still young. There used to be at least one of those guys passing through waivers each season back in the day, but that's now gone with better informed players. I personally see that as a good thing since it creates better competition, even if it makes poor drafts more frustrating.

Yeah...and we also put in release restrictions (which everyone seems to hate), but has prevent people who are trying to abuse the system by totally gutting teams.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 release restrictions are good
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

my thought is they are not really worse.
Just your teams so much stronger.

This is extremely true. I was looking back at some of the players I was excited to pick up early on and they look like total garbage now. I can't believe they ever looked good, but when my team was young they apparently did. Your expectations grow as your team improves.

Previous Page | Show All |