Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Nickname limitations   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've never changed nicknames for guys that were on a team for several years because it just seems wrong. If it's not too difficult, I would recommend nicknames freeze for a player once he's had it for five years. Maybe the site can just check this every off season?
A simpler thing would probably be to just freeze nicknames when a player turns 29 or 30. I don't know anything about coding, though. Anything that requires more than a simple, quick solution is probably not worth the hassle.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Same as Mike, I've never changed a nickname given by another owner. I agree with Haselrig on the point that what gets owners hooked on the game is a degree of attachment to our teams and players. That is the point of having the Hall of Fame anyways, as if we weren't attached we wouldn't care about that feature. Then when someone picks up a player at the end of a long career and adds or removes a nickname they've had for 5-10 seasons, it is very irritating. To me I see it more as a "respect for former owners" thing as a "make the player your own" thing in line with the language Mike used.

Edit: To clarify, I'm open to any way this can be done whether be along the lines of Rock's or Mike's suggestions. I don't want to penalize owners, but it just is a very negative experience when a player develops and contributes for multiple seasons to your team and then on the tail end of his career has a nickname change while passing through one of the organizations who just wants him as a rental.

Updated Saturday, September 3 2016 @ 8:19:24 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Haselrig on the point that what gets owners hooked on the game is a degree of attachment to our teams and players.

This works both ways. If you pick up a player and can't give him a nickname, it may prevent the attachment and enjoyment you speak of. It won't ever feel like your player.

I don't like any of the suggestions. It's my team. If I want my players to shave their side burns, they shave their side burns. I don't feel I have to call someone "the Franchise" when he pinch hits 3 times a week, or "the Rocket" when they can't break 90 on the gun anymore.

If its a hall of fame issue, strip all nicknames from players when they retire. You can describe their nickname in their HoF description.
dmcc1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A player that is in a HoF will probably not be released until way into their 30's. Once a player over a certain age has been inducted into a HoF add a retire button so he can be retired from the game rather than released.

That way he won't have his nickname changed.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

If you pick up a player and can't give him a nickname, it may prevent the attachment and enjoyment you speak of. It won't ever feel like your player.

I'm aware of that Seca, but were you really trying to get attached to the 33 year old rental or the 23 year old prospect who you are grooming to be your next star? That 33 year old was someone else's star. This feels like a load of crap answer especially with that sideburns comment, since you can't change the picture of the player.

Edit: Btw, congrats on making the first suggestion in this thread that I wouldn't support. I'd go for the retire button feature before that.

Updated Saturday, September 3 2016 @ 10:43:03 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's the player that started this movement. He's a perfect example of why nicknames should not be locked.

Flamin' Allen Abbott

Flamin', in a baseball context, suggests a pitcher that throws hard. But go look up Flamin' in an online dictionary. This is what I find:

2. To be blatantly homosexual in the stereotypical way.

When I see a player with that nickname, I immediately wonder if the manager has some baseball savvy, or is some teenage homophobe making some weak attempt at a slur. In this case, its pretty clearly the former. But I think many people still ask themselves that question.

Because it is open to interpretation, Flamin' is a nickname I would immediately strip. Its my team. It reflects on me. So many nicknames have a cultural basis that may mean different things to different people.

This feels like a load of crap answer especially with that sideburns comment, since you can't change the picture of the player.

That was meant as a reference to Steinbrenner, intended as a little humour. Your reaction is a decent example of what happens on the Internet when you leave a little room for interpretation.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cute Seca, but you missed the actual second reason I gave him that nickname (besides his strikeouts). If you pulled up his portrait you'd see that he has red hair. Just in case you still don't understand, red is traditionally associated with fire, namely flames. Thank you for playing this round of how'd this guy get that nickname. Please tune in again next week.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let's abolish all nicknames. Most can be turned into something they're not, so let's eliminate the problem for all of the hyper-sensitive souls.
Same with names in general. Let's just have the player's ID number and leave it at that. Ditto team names and owners.
Thank you. #5853

Updated Sunday, September 4 2016 @ 3:26:03 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I do monitor all the custom nicknames, team names and logos to try to make sure offensive or inappropriate names are removed. Some have been removed and on occasion a few people have been kicked out for blatantly violating the rules too.

Flamin’ is like you said one that could perhaps go both ways. The guy is a strike out pitcher, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Some have been removed and on occasion a few people have been kicked out for blatantly violating the rules too.

That's a shame. I thought we had a pretty sterling record of good citizenship in BB. Ah well, I guess this is the internet :)

Previous Page | Show All |