Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that actually makes sense. +1
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
A manager would seem to have this option at their disposal already - through training focus.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A lot of how a guy does in the field is really based on Position Experience. Given that is such a large factor, I feel like looking at the Fielding rating in a vacuum is a bit deceptive. Defensive performance is comprised of Position Experience, Fielding, Range, and Arm. Range and Arm start off maxed. You can train a guy up to maximum Position Experience in the minors. So the fielding factor is often the only part that improves after they get to the majors.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Mike means that in real life, a 24 year old shortstop is going to field just as well as his future 28-29 year old self. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, by the time a guy gets to the big leagues he is probably as good of a fielder as he is going to be for the rest of his career.

I see what you are saying about training for different positions and that is true, but look at someone like Andrelton Simmons. He played shortstop his entire minor league career and the Braves knew that he would be a shortstop when he came up. His fielding percentage at age 22 and 23 was very similar to what it is now. (I know fielding percentage is a bad stat in general, but when you are measuring just fielding ability, it is a good one.) By the time Simmons was called up to the bigs, his fielding had basically already maxed out. This is the case for most MLB players. In this game, that is not the case. That, in too many words than necessary, is Mike's point.

I feel that if we were going for realism, then this should be added at some point. However, I think the system works now as it is and there is no point in really changing it.

Updated Sunday, July 17 2016 @ 3:33:27 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I love the examples you guys are giving. :). The BB player in the OP was a 25 year old minors bootee. Ie., a player who did not train well. And for the typical major leaguer a platinum glove no bat SS is given. :P

I undertood the post. I don't necessarily agree that a player's defense is maxed when he arrives in the majors. Blue Jays fans are frequently shown shots of Tulo giving tips to Goins and Travis during practice. There is a good Colabello - Gardenhire story that comes to mind that is too long to relate here.

If nothing else, the final few points of fielding could represent learning the parks, lights, managing nerves in front of crowds.

From a game-play point of view, this represents dumbing down. Handling a prospect who is behind in fielding is a way for a more astute manager to create advantage. A bot will bring him up and play him at his position. A good human manager? He/she will ensure max spring training exposure, may blood them in the cup rather than directly in league, may play them at a lower leverage position of knowledge until their fielding comes up. And as mentioned in my previous post, may adjust their training by focusing on fielding if this is an issue for multiple players.

From my POV, a questionable realism improvement that makes game play less robust. But just my opinion. I am frequently wrong. Just ask my wife.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another way to handle it would be to put a cap on how much Position Experience a guy can get in the minors. That would be more realistic. But it would probably also result in pretty much the same results we have now. So extra coding to achieve very little, and just makes it more difficult for GMs to figure out what's going on. Having the majority of improvement happen in fielding makes it easier from a gameplay perspective for GMs to see what is happening.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, so playing someone at a position they haven't been trained at to exploit a flaw in Broken Bat's design is more robust than creating a more realistic game? I strongly disagree. Ramping up the penalties for playing out of position, especially for infielders and catchers, and decreasing the time necessary to attain fielding potential would be more realistic, fun and rewarding.
There are several strategic exploitations of BB that laugh in the face of realism. We shouldn't embrace them; we should try to eradicate them.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I completely agree with Seca here, I was just too lazy this afternoon to type out my own version of essentially the same points.

@Mike, your rebuttal is valid, however it doesn't address the fact that a 25 yo minor league bootee is not comparable to MLB stars, but rather more to some of the unpolished call-ups or the guys who are much older when called up in real life.

Updated Sunday, July 17 2016 @ 7:24:45 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I disagree with you. First of all I think your (plural) assessment of the guy I used as an illustration is off base. What he should be is a very good defensive player who has a weak bat. Instead, he's an average to poor defender with a pathetic bat (the offensive woes aren't meant to be a complaint; that stuff happens). If players like him developed their fielding skills in realistic fashion, they would provide more options for owners. Are you willing to sacrifice offense for defense in key positions? As it stands now, owners have to suffer through undeveloped defense and offense for those guys, which minimizes managerial options and strategies.
Thinking about the real world, what's the difference between 24+ year old AAA players and major leaguers? The answer is simple--offense. The minor league guys have reached their defensive peak at their primary position, assuming they've been playing it for several seasons, but are still developing their hitting. If Broken Bat mirrored that reality, the game would be more interesting.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
My thought,for what it's worth,is why not players fielding stats start within 6 points of their finish. This would give a realistic minor league training and major league polish. Just a thought

Previous Page | Show All |