Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Two Ideas   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was thinking that a spray chart that keeps track of where hitters put the ball would be useful in setting up a lineup that takes advantage of what there home field is. Also, I think adding fielder attempts to fielding stats would give better insight to a players actual range than just skill points.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Considering the game figures out whether something is a hit or not, and THEN assigns where the ball went a spray chart would only be useful for season or longer sets of time. I wouldn't be opposed to it since it could help us decide where to set fences, though I think it would generate false conclusions when people start trying to use it to determine their fielding setup when they start a season 3-7 or something like that...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah. This would be a great idea if the engine worked a little differently. As is, I think Newtman is right. It would still be cool to see, but it might trick people into thinking they were seeing data that doesn't really mean what it should.

If Steve ever updates the engine to do fielding differently, I think this would be a great addition.

EDIT: BTW, the fielding attempts are there, but you have to mouse over the FPS numbers to see them. If you mouse over any FPS number it will show you FA, PO, A, E, and DPs for the given year at the given position.

Updated Tuesday, June 21 2016 @ 10:23:35 am PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know anything about computer programming, but I could go back and play every game in my league and keep track with pen and paper for both ideas, if I had hundreds of hours to kill.
I've been using my phone lately, so I didn't notice the fielding feature. I know the mouse works on other splits. Thanks

Updated Tuesday, June 21 2016 @ 10:34:21 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Even if you killed all those hours doing it the point would be the data would not actually say what it would say in real life. In real life the pitcher throws the ball, the hitter hits the ball in a specific direction, and then the fielder either gets to it or he doesn't. In the game sim, the pitcher throws the ball, and the game determines whether it is a hit or not, and THEN the game determines where the ball went. Thus it would not tell you in any small sample sizes whether the fielder is failing you. Because range is weighted, theoretically it would work out somewhat close to how it should look over the course of an entire season with all 450-600+ FAs, however smaller sample sizes could be very deceiving since the team range is what is taken into account when the game determines whether a fielder got to it or not.

Edit: I know I basically re-iterated my first post in more detail, but I guess my point is that I would only be on board with a spray chart if on the same page there was an explanation of why it shouldn't be used to tell you whether your RF is not doing his job unless it is for a sample size of 450+ FAs. Otherwise people would start making really bad decisions based on info that doesn't work the intuitive way that it should.

Updated Tuesday, June 21 2016 @ 11:18:08 am PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was suggesting a spray chart to determine if a hitter is a pull hitter or has a tendency to slice the ball to the opposite field.
A true range factor (FA*9 then divide by innings in the field) would give a gauge to determine how often your player gets to the ball in comparison to other fielders in the same position.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I say it keeps percentages as in 30% hit to middle, 60% hit to right, and 10% hit to left (from batters perspective) this could open the door to shifts and all that which could lead to heavy pull hitters like Prince Fielder, etc. So you decide if you want him on your team because they know where the ball is going.

A Spray Chart, at the end of the season it would get to cluttered and you prob would find it hard to look at

Updated Tuesday, June 21 2016 @ 1:18:22 pm PDT
Maksim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My suggestion on this is not on the topic I know but make people be able to choose if they want to play or manage or GM a team
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
V.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I would like FA and PO (currently available using a mouse hover over) added to the Fielding Stats, but appreciate there isn't a lot of room for the table.

I would be prepared to sacrifice the pitchers' fielding stats if needed make room for this.

Previous Page | Show All |