Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> variety between the age of prospects when they get called up   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
None, of them have been all-stars, but here are just a few examples of guys who have gotten early calls on my team in the past two years. All of these guys were recommended to the majors by the AI, not me:

Angelo Castillo - 21
Ángelo Arias - 21
"Linda" Blair - 22

Blake Foxx (currently 20) and Norberto "Marionette" Marroquín (currently 20) are both in AAA and will receive early call ups.

Jalen Schmitt was called up at 20 and played the full season. I wasn't the manager at of that team, so I don't know if he was recommended. Did he stunt 2 SI? Maybe. I won't ever know. So just like Harper.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 5:49:42 pm PDT
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I also have been a bit troubled by this not quite realistic scenario. Also, in this game, an average to an above average player is useless by 35, and all players are useless by 36-37. Alex Rodriguez went out at age 40 last season, (presumably) steroid clean, and jacked 30 home runs after a full year off. Bartolo Colon is 42 and still going strong. Jamie Moyer was a solid pitcher when the Phillies won the title in 2008 (As a Phillies fan, I loved watching him pitch.) at age 48 or something like that. Old guys can still play, they do not all fall off of the face of the earth at age 33-35. So, sometimes I wish players didn't age as quickly. Or, rather, maybe there was some more variety of when players started aging. Plus, there should be prospects that are ready at 19-20 and some ready at 27. (And by the way, I really don't like the auto suggestion for the majors at age 25.)

However, it is the same for everyone, and it makes people have to constantly on the lookout for better players. Also, if players stuck around longer, that would mean that the minors would become clogged up and 13 POT players would become like 11-12 POT players now. 14 POT players would probably considered average.

I think its fine the way it is, but if you're looking for perfect realism, then yes, I see your point.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 6:31:54 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll give you Alex Crespo. He was recommended at 22. He's now 26. He's played pretty much 5 full seasons and he's gained 32 SI since the call up. His potential actually went up from 15 to 16. He's been an all star once, all league once and has a gold glove. If he starts to decline at 31 I can see him playing past 35. If he's a slow decliner, who knows. Sure he'd be a 1B/DH by then but that's fairly realistic.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
One more guy who will promote early from my team:

Alex Spears, 20 year old SS.

I've actually seen a few guys performing well into their late 30s in this game. The problem is, most of us see the guy lose a couple SI and cut him. In real life, players don't get cut right away when they lose a step. Those guys playing at 40 years old are not playing at the same level as when they were 30. They are just good enough that teams kept them. We gamers have a tendency to min/max a bit more, so we have less patience then real life GMs. It doesn't mean there is an issue with the game model.
jackiscind

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thats great that there are listed AAA prospects that may benefit from an early call up, but what about if they're listed in AA at 22 like this guy here. You can't really call him up if he's only in AA
http://brokenbat.org/player/101487

Updated Friday, June 17 2016 @ 4:25:26 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There is nothing preventing you from calling him up. He might cap out as a POT 14 because you brought him up before he was mature. But he will still be a good player. Its your choice as the GM.

That particular example is so good, that he might not even suffer much stunting from an early call up. We are all just very cautious with our players (probably to an unrealistic level) as decision makers because we have more truth data than real GMs.

Its more a flaw with player mindset, then with the game design itself. Steve has specifically called out that the AI recommendations are only recommendations, neither hard and fast rules, nor even the optimal recommendation. He recommends new players follow them while they are learning the system, but veteran players are supposed to be able to make their own determinations about promotions. Because we have more information than real GMs (POT), we get overly concerned about getting every possible SI out of a player, rather then bringing him up a year earlier and getting a whole extra year of production out of a guy. 8 years hitting .290 or 7 years hitting .295. Which is better? That's a GM decision, that most of us (including me) aren't really making.

Updated Friday, June 17 2016 @ 9:00:56 am PDT
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually totally agree with the idea of needing to change the agung curves in the game. Right now, it is pretty much the same based on if it is a hitter or pitcher. Here is a fangraphs article about the average aging curve (basically every player in broken bat looks based off of this) of hitters. There are other articles that it points, too. This one talks about different types of hitters.

It would be nice if everybody didn't just use the average aging curve.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
All players don't any more. Steve said this a couple seasons ago. It doesn't vary as much as real life, but it does vary more than it used to. I think if it varied as much as real life then rosters would get so clogged that 14 potential would be the minimum of a good player. That would just widen the gulf between the best teams and everyone else in Broken Bat for lengths of time that would be unhealthy (think 5-10 seasons or a real life year or two). Right now gaps can be closed in a couple seasons, and real progress can be made in one season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Because Steve made this change a couple seasons back, it is going to take a few seasons before we really start to see the effect.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Kewl. Must have missed that. Good stuff.

Previous Page | Show All |