Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Pinch Hitting / Running order   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have to admit that I am starting to get a little leery about the pinch hitter list. It could get pretty messy for teams that do a lot of platooning. Essentially, I probably want most of my starting vsLHP starters to come in before anyone else if I'm now facing a lefty (even if I started against a righty). It would be tough to have only a couple pinch hitters, as you would need to ignore position.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a query rather than a suggestion, specifically on pinch RUNNING.

In a recent game, my team were 0-2 down in the bottom of the 8th inning with one out and a runner on 1st. My 6 Speed DH doubles to put runners on 2nd and 3rd.

After a groundout (runners held), my next batter singles - runner on 3rd scores, and my leaden-footed DH rolls into 3rd.

At this point the pinch-runner comes in.

Next batter strikes out, inning over. I'm still down 1-2 with a runner stranded at 3rd.

Shouldn't the pinch runner come on as soon as my DH gets on base? Or does he only come on if there's no-one else on base? Or are there other parameters? I'm curious because my 18 Speed pinch runner might have scored to tie the game on that single to center, which might have made all the difference in a game I lost 1-2.

(Lets skip my team failing to get a run in the bottom of the 9th despite loading the bases with no outs...)

Updated Wednesday, June 1 2016 @ 6:26:52 am PDT
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 would love to control pinch runner and/or pinch hitter RHP VS LHP.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
On further note. I will say that this season I changed 1B and catcher on my team lineup and position.
My season so far the games doing perfect. Like Steve said and the manual says the reason for this my catcher is better fielder and more exp. My 1B is better fielder and maybe = hitter to current starters.
I have manager setting for them that matched what was suggested in manuals. The backups are faster than starters speed wise.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 this with a twist.

Can't believe I agree with Rock that it could get messy, but how about keeping the default PH/PR method with an option to set PH/PR/sub preferences for those who want more control. Heck, you could even just make the back-up in the lineup the preferred sub. Leave it blank= default. Add the player= first choice.

For instance, you want a young player to get PT and being the first hitter/sub off the bench would do that when a regular position isn't available, whether he's playing out of position or not, whether he's truly your best option or not.

buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to Snowflake's suggestion
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be nice to have more control over this aspect of the game. At least for pinch running, maybe a hierarchy of who you want to use as a pinch runner and set an inning/run differential that you want pinch running to happen according to that hierarchy.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree, and yet at the same time even this can be complicated.

The other day I had a game where my LF was pinch hit for by a 2B. Then another LF on the bench was brought in to pinch run. This was really nice as everything was working as it should and the speedy LF then went into LF. But I think I just got lucky.

In reality I don't always want the fasted guy pinch running. I probably want one of my fast guys who can also play the position.

We all want better control, but how do we control. I wonder if it made more sense to have control over AI tendencies. Like valuing speed over position match, etc.

Updated Sunday, June 5 2016 @ 8:40:05 am PDT
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock

u remember the Royals the last 2 years when they needed runs they put the fastest guys out there as in Jarrod Dyson and Terrance Gore, they would pinch run them to stay in the game or to take the lead, and then after if they had to play the Bottom of the ninth then they would put other guys for defense as in Orlando, Rios, Colon, and Butera, they did this because if they didn't get runs then the game was over and they lose so they were trying to pull out the win
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, baseball is very situational. That's why its hard to give us control, because we have to set settings before the game without knowing the situation. Sometimes you want the fastest guy. Sometimes you just want a better base runner that will then go into the field to play.

Previous Page | Show All |