Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Compensatory Draft Picks   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it would be a cool addition if teams could be awarded compensatory draft picks. I know there is interest among some players to implement some kind of trading system but, personally, I don't think that would be successful. Compensatory draft picks could be a feature that is basically trading away veteran players for future draft picks.

The way it would work is all players in the game would have a certain value. To make it simple value can be determined by waiver claims. So if player X had 100 claims on him in the waiver wire his value would be 100. Every time a player reaches the waiver wire his value resets. Free agents are 0. At the end of the season a teams net value lost or added would be calculated. Compensatory draft picks would be awarded based on the value lost. If you wanted to make things more interesting a team could give up a draft pick if the value added exceeds a certain threshold number.

For example, if by the end of this season I released 4 players and the total claims add up to 200 (which means that the players I released were valuable) and I added 1 player whose value was 50. The net value lost by the end of the season = 150. 150 would then equal an extra 6th round draft pick for next season. (Obviously these numbers are arbitrary and just for example.)

The way the system would be implemented would only affect a minority of teams in a given season. Only teams that had a substantial net value loss or addition. What that arbitrary number is I'm not sure. Also there could be a limit to what rounds are affected. For example no team could ever lose or gain a draft pick earlier than the third round. I think this could be a fun addition to the game. It adds a little more strategy to team (re)building and it could also prevent people from going crazy on the waiver claims.

Updated Wednesday, March 16 2016 @ 9:21:17 pm PDT
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sounds good to me. Anything that gets some value out of third catchers, second 2Bs etc. would be fine with me.
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
hmmm... I guess that's a major flaw considering you releasing a rarely used bench player could get you as much value as a lower league team releasing a star player.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The only way I could see this working is if you tied value to position, games played (or some form of value for playing in games), and skills. So that backups and nobodies dont get you a 3rd round pick, but instead the guy thats 120 SI that has 10 games played may get you an 8th.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Is ten draft picks a season insufficient? It just seems like it adds a layer of complexity to the game that is unnecessary.

So if a guy just picks up good players from free agency and then cuts them, he can earn another pick? Or is this just for home grown talent?

Steve

Updated Thursday, March 17 2016 @ 2:35:34 pm PDT
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's not that 10 draft picks is insufficient. I just saw it as an alternative to trying to implement a trading system. Instead of trading players for other players you have an opportunity to trade players for future prospects. If you could figure out a proper way to determine player value then this system avoids the pitfalls of having players trade with each other where it's easy to abuse.Mostly this system would help out teams that want to rebuild and also would deter teams from putting too many claims on the waiver wire because they could lose a draft pick.

I obviously haven't thought out all the details but on further thought I think limiting it to homegrown players may work better. For the most part I just had the idea and wanted to see if anyone else liked the idea. Also it is similar to real life where teams get draft picks for losing type A and type B players.

the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just another fishing method hoping to land the big one
Chronic catch and release
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
in pyron proposal, compensatory draft picks are linked to the number of
WAIVER CLAIMS
that player would fetch.
That's as close as "market value" as we can get in BrokenBat.

I see no way the system could be exploited by signing 35yo Free Agents or releasing 3rd stringers.
The free market will assess a proper value anyway.

Then again, even if this idea has its value, I see not point in developing such a scheme for such a small reward. Just a couple more catch and releases..

Previous Page | Show All |