Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeeeaaahhhhh, +2
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You mean you actually get defensive replacements? To my knowledge I've never had a guy replaced in a regular season game. I don't think this solves much of the problem. Most of my backups are inferior defensively any way.
The whole defensive replacement thing needs an overhaul, in my opinion. I think something like simply listing the top two defenders we'd like to use for each position as replacements if available would be much more useful, as well as being able to assign the --/++ setting for each position.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Most of my backups are inferior defensively any way.

That's probably why you don't get defensive replacements...

But yeah, I agree mixing depth chart, defensive replacements, pinch hitters, and pinch runners into one is probably a recipe for disaster. I'd just like to have more input into game day player usage.

Updated Sunday, February 21 2016 @ 6:44:17 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The key word is most. I've had several backups over the years who have been vastly superior defensively, yet they never came in. My best example is this guy. 18/16/16 defense and he didn't replace average guys who weren't even qualified at third. I no longer carry defensive guys because the manager never utilizes them.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Where are you viewing the replacement logic? From your own matches? I don't see any description in the rules.

I've only seen 2-3 defensive replacements for my team. For it to kick in, the current player had to be out of position and poor fielding compared to the replacement. Just being out of position, or just being a bad fielder didn't seem sufficient.

If this was reworked, maybe it could be fitted into some sort of platoon option? I'm a little frustrated that my manager keeps using my back-up catcher to pinch hit for the DH, only to pinch hit for the catcher with someone out of position a few batters later.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
+1
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually I was looking at the pinch hitting logic which does a defense check, so I was just assuming this was where defensive replacements were happening. Maybe I was wrong.

Either way, the pinch hitting logic doesn't take into account the backups we have set. Really that should have been the original suggestion. I don't have a problem with the AI taking the best hitter off the bench to pinch hit, but then I probably want the #2 in my depth chart to go into the field and play the rest of the game.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Defensive Replacement AI worked for me a few seasons ago when I tried to play a small "of" with no decent fielding skilld at 3b. A competent 3b came in the late innings.

But it never worked again since.
It looks like we all agree the AI is no good.

Pinch Hitting is also suspect, leaving players out of position more often than not.

My favorite solution would be to scrap AI altogether, favoring manager's control.

Pinch Hitter would be the Substitute listed on the lineup page, and one more column is needed to list the defensive replacement (need also and option for the inning, just like for PH)

If another column is too much, I'd rather go with the Substitute coming in as DefRep.
It doesn't make much sense to have PH and DefSub as the same player, but IRS still more palatable than the current random anarchy
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well you still need the AI since we aren't making in game decisions. Also, don't you need another column or two for depth chart? What happens when a guy is injured, putting in the Pinch Hitter probably isn't right. Putting in the defensive replacement isn't right either.

I think this stuff is better left to the AI, I just want to be able to have a bit more influence on the AI's choices.

Previous Page | Show All |