Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Pretty sure it's the grinder for 'em.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I kinda wish undrafted players would get thrown into waivers at season's end... might make waiver claims more interesting since it's more than just what teams are discarding. It could be good players that no one was lucky enough to pull.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
+1
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure how feasible this would be. Prospects aren’t fully fleshed out players….they just have the data required for the draft page. It’s not until you actually pick them that the game generates the remaining values. So I’m not sure if we could rank them in the same manner and minor league players.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I kinda wish undrafted players would get thrown into waivers at season's end... might make waiver claims more interesting since it's more than just what teams are discarding. It could be good players that no one was lucky enough to pull.

I don't know...there doesn't seem to be any shortage of players on the waiver wire/free agency. And dumping the undrafted players into it is just going to add mostly players that have been passed over several times.

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve,

There are plenty of waiver guys, yes... but how many of them are worthwhile? I don't see that many players each season that actually would be better than what I have... which is weird since my team is incredibly mediocre.

Also a lot of the guys are 30+ on the decline which is why they were sent to waivers.

I'm not saying dumping leftover draft guys will improve anything at all... but I would be at least curious to see what we're missing because of ambiguous scouting reports causing us to pass over guys. Could there actually be good prospects still left at the end?

I know I'm certainly not finding prospects during the off-season waiver rush at the very least.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Newtman - I thought that was what I said... LOL, obviously I suck at communication :/

@Crazy Li - I don't like the idea of "saving the careers" of overlooked computer generated players. No one is going to miss them; they aren't going to get stuck working at McDonalds. Plus with the new 10 slate there won't be as many of them left over anyhow.

Steve, I don't know what data you do have, but I think you must have enough data to develop the "overall potential" scouting tag. Would that data be sufficient to provide a top 20, or is it really just a potential tag that gets translated into SI/POT at player creation? Even just listing a random sampling of guys who have this tag would be useful. Better if the list is stable, so maybe ID based instead of random.

I would think at a minimum you could do that. List the 20 lowest ID guys who have the "very good" tag. And fill in the top 20 with "good" tag guys at the end of the season if too many "very good" guys get drafted.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock, you confused me by saying in the first sentence that I thought that Steve didn't have the data needed to rank prospects, and then in the second sentence proceeded to ask that it be done anyways.

Steve just said that the data (SI, potential, etc.) doesn't exist until they are drafted... how are you going to have them ranked? Also, if you look closely at the draft threads from seasons past, you'll notice the player IDs are created when they are drafted (you'll notice the numbers always go up as time goes on), this is not a coincidence, there is no unique tag until they are signed to a team for the first time.

Bookmarked this thread, Steve gave a lot of info that will need to be referred back to in the future.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No, Steve said he didn't have the data to do prospect ranking the same as in the minors. He didn't specify what data he did or did not have.

My last post outlined how it can be done with the data that Steve does have. He has these guys in a DB table somewhere, which means they have IDs. He is probably reassigning them an ID for the player table when they are drafted. But they still need a unique identifier for whatever table they exist in before they are drafted. That is the ID I am recommending be used for ordering a top 20 based off the "overall potential" tag which obviously must also exist in that table. Any unique ID can be used (numeric or textual) since a unique ordering can always be queried by unique identifiers.

So...
Code:
SELECT * FROM prospect_table ORDER BY overall_potential, unique_ID LIMIT 20;

Now someone is going to argue that that won't be a very accurate rating. As Steve pointed out in another thread "sure things" fail all the time in baseball. Doing a comparative rating over all colleges, high schools, and foreign countries in real life would be horribly inaccurate. So its actually very realistic to have a fairly inaccurate top 20 that shows players who have been tagged as "very good".

The biggest gain from this is to highlight to everyone that there are still "very good" and "good" players available (and maybe even hint at talent heavy pools late in the season).

Updated Thursday, February 4 2016 @ 7:32:29 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Prospects aren’t fully fleshed out players….they just have the data required for the draft page. It’s not until you actually pick them that the game generates the remaining values.

I find this fascinating. My mind is diligently working to decipher what that might mean and how to divine gold from it.

Previous Page | Show All |