Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Pre-Select Draft Pool   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Right. And I don't believe your math. Can you please show it.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Some issues never die.

Anyway, some time ago we put code into minimize the amount of overlaps in drafting options on any given round. So for very small pools with lots of clubs drafting from it, it’s possible there are overlaps…but in general, I don’t believe this is a significant issue. Small pools are pretty pick over anyway.

In terms of two clubs getting the same prospect in their draft options and then the first person beating the second out by a split second or some such scenario….I’ve never heard anyone complain about that happening. Is it possible? Potentially for smaller draft pools…but I don’t think it’s likely.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't remember exactly which week it was, but somewhere around the first third of last season I drafted from the Latin American pool. I had a couple of decent choices so I checked out my minors to see which might better fill my gaps. After finishing breakfast I came back to find one of my guys had been taken by someone else. Someone else said that happened to them, too, last season. I'll have to see if I can find the thread to provide more pinpoint data.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Found it. I guess time flies because it was Round 4 in 2023. That was after the alleged fix.

This is the guy I lost.

I don't know if that helps. My guess is there's no way to find out what happened, but there it is. He disappeared from my draft after just minutes.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So you took this guy instead??http://brokenbat.org/player/110888

Drafted the same real date but four game days later?

Comparing the two scouting reports I find it hard to believe you didn't immediately take the guy that got away. I'm not meaning to poke fun but in hind sight you must realize that the choice should have been a no brainer :-)

Tough break...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Well, he wouldn't see the whole package in the draft, but only the scouting reports:

Yáñez:
He can be a strike out pitcher. He may be limited to only a few innings. He has good overall potential.

Barbosa:

His fastball can be unhittable. He will be able to throw all day. He has very good overall potential.

Steve
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well ok, not 100% no brainer if you think you'll really need a closer in 6 years time (age is visible) but to me Barbosa's scouting report is clearly better and harder to come by. Am I wrong??
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Few innings to throw all day is likely 10 difference in stamina, which amounts to 12.5 SI. It's all coming back to me now. I inaccurately said above that I was checking my roster, but that wasn't the case at all. I was doing some quick research to see the comparisons of good vs. very good for potential. I don't remember the exact results; I know I decided to go with the very good. Alas, he was gone when I came back that afternoon. I learned my lesson--always pick immediately. I thought the pick was safe based on the info from the update regarding drafts; obviously that wasn't true.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
More than half the pitchers on your team are relief pitchers. So I generally consider "few innings" to be a positive report.

This problem will occur a little more frequently with increased slates, but I think it also complicates the pre-select suggestion. I believe the event only occurs when there are not enough "free" players to give everyone a unique slate. Thus if it already occurs by round 4 with only 5 players on the slate. How can teams have prepopulated slates? Other than the usability complication, this is what I see as being the biggest issue with trying to do something like this...
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In any event it's bad luck. I don't think anyone would have thought that one of the choices could just disappear! Glad I know that now.

Previous Page | Show All |