Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Tie Breakers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...implementing a one-game playoff for tie breakers is pretty far down the 'to do' list, so let's not bicker about all the other options.

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve,

I understand that adding in a 1-game tie breaker wouldn't be super simple and is far down on the list since you have to add something to the game structure...

but is it also difficult to just assess something different in your tie-breaking logic? Like the idea of using the results of the teams in question against one another before turning to RD essentially.

Like let's hypothetically say that you play 14 games against teams in your division (I don't know the actual number off hand so I'm just using this as an example). Two teams tie for first with the same record. If Team A won 8 out of the 14 games against Team B, Team A gets considered 1st place. But if they split the season series 7-7, THEN going to RD as a secondary check or something...

Would that be difficult to implement?

Also what happens right now if RD is tied? Coin flip?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
H2H isn't as easy as you think...especially when you account for the possibility of ties between more than two teams.

Tie breakers:

1. Win & Loses
2. Run Differential
3. Rating
4. Pistols at 10 paces

We never resort to coin flips!

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the tie breakers are perfect as is, and wouldn't change them. Especially #4.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I do like #4, I think this season's Legends Championship shows how much (or how little) RD means :p

The winner was outscored, but still won the actual games.

(also, rating? really? That's one of the worst things you can fall on)

A 3-way tie does make things harder, yes.

Team A, B, and C tie.

Team A is 8-6 vs. Team B
Team A is 5-9 vs. Team C
Team B is 7-7 vs. Team C

Team A is 13-15 in this set
Team B is 13-15 as well
Team C is 16-12

I guess Team C wins? I dunno... I think the league structure makes it hard to do this in an ideal way, so I'll agree to dismiss the idea. I would make the bid for in-division records, but I feel this is silly when there are only 2 divisions. In a 4-division (or more) league structure, I would be adamant about falling back to that, though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

The winner was outscored, but still won the actual games.

That is a super small sample size. Not quite as bad as H2H, but almost.

Besides, the winner outscored the loser by 5 runs. I think you miss counted.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Crazy Li is correct about The Legends playoff result. The winner had an RD of -6 for the series.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL! I was looking at the wrong league entirely...

Still a small sample size and not really an argument for RD being useless as a predictor of team strength.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Note: The following response is meant as a joke.

I suggest we have a 161 game playoff, in the spirit of baseball it will test who the better team is. My team might actually have a chance at winning it as well that way. :/
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Only 161?! You can't find out who the better team is in that small of a sample size! Where is the dislike button! :P

Previous Page | Show All |