Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Player creation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since some of us complain about lack of quality in draft picks and bad luck in the waiver claims, maybe we should be able to create players in our own vision.

I see the option of creating a player, once a season, either in lieu of a normal draft pick, possibly during spring training, though newer owners who sign up afterwards would miss out or at seasons end before rollover.

We would have the ability to name player, give it a birthplace and college. Might need a naming censorship committee to ensure nothing inappropriate is used. A drop down box is another option with the current data base of names, places and colleges. Pick the height and weight of your player. Even the possibility of skin tone, facial hair and hair style/color. Then apply the hitting and throwing handedness

There would be 3 positions to choose from
Pitcher
Infielder/Catcher
Outfielder

A pool of players would be needed with POT range of 11-13 or maybe 12-14 based on current draft pool options
High School: A 17 or 18 year old player from the United States or Canada.
(just realized no 19 yr olds from US or Canada))
College: A 20 to 22 year old player from the United States or Canada.

Latin Academy: A 16 to 21 year old player from Latin America.

Asian Posting System: A 22 to 25 year old player from Asia. Note, the Posting System is a player transfer system between Asian and American professional baseball leagues.

International: A 18 to 23 year old player from Europe, Australia and the rest of the world.

After naming and position is selected, a random hidden player would be assigned from the appropriate pool based on age and birth place selection. We then could adjust each players 8 attributes(still hidden) as we would like, by applying a certain percentage up or down, with a max limit of 25%, but must be equal to zero after all adjustments are made.

For example I want a power hitting DH and choose a 22 yr from USA
I am assigned a 12 POT and the SI for this player could possibly look like this
HIT-11
BC-10
PD-5
POW-8
SPD-11
RNG-7
ARM-14
SI=79
remember SI have hidden decimals, are rounded and can vary by 20%
My preferred adjustment would be
HIT-11 +25%=13.75
BC- 10 +25%=12.50
PD- 5 +25%= 6.25
POW- 8 +25%=10.00
SPD-11 -25%= 8.25
FLD- 7 -25% 5.25
RNG-14 -25%= 9.50
ARM-13 -25%=10.50
SI=79 now is SI 76
I did lose 3 SI initially overall but would pick up approx. 8 SI in the chosen attributes and still would grow naturally in all attributes if his training and experience is fully utilized.

Also there would be a potential penalty if a given attribute would naturally be high and then adding the bonus would put it over 20

EG. A speedy outfielder that would start with 18 SI and a 25% bonus is added, would take it to 20 but never be able to recoup the lost 2.5 SIs

I did a few examples with age and positions and unless I am totally overlooking something or my math is off, I don't see any potential for abuse

Using different percentages and their assignments will of course give varying results considering some SIs are more set while others grow at different rates as it approaches its limit. Age and nationality play into the equations as older players tend to have more experience and training.
Still a gamble not knowing what the players initial SIs are before adjusting.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd rather see something with the draft where you could specify a position preference. So I want to draft a Pitcher, or I want to draft an OF.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would too Rock, but think Steve is more concerned about uneven distribution of players in early rounds especially pitchers
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If we were to pick positions by round, it would be amazingly loaded up on pitchers in the early rounds anyway.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed, the only people who wouldn't pick pitchers in the early rounds would be the new players who didn't know any better yet.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, first off I would disagree, as established teams would draft for positions they needed, not just pitchers. However I agree in general, and the same principle would apply to the suggestion given. There would be a whole bunch of extra pitchers created. That is why I said I would rather see the drafting option selected. At least it would mean pitchers were selected early and people would be forced to draft position players later in the year if they wanted good players. The suggestion above would just mean a LOT of extra pitchers and less position players in the game.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If teams create pitchers, that would mean that more quality pitchers would be available in draft pools, NP too since 1/10 of picks would be used to create a player.

Some teams might opt out of creating a player that would only be a 12 or 13 to get another chance at landing a 15 or higher POT player

Even though my team is slim on P I would create players from my personal life
me as a lanky 3B with great hitting and arm
Son as a C who couldn't run and barely could hit but could throw out runners
Dog as a speedy outfielder that could run and get to any ball but not much of an arm
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I bet the dog still out-performs Johnny Damon :p

Previous Page | Show All |