Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> more surnames   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But that's something that happens in real life, too. Sometimes those players are related, in other cases they aren't, and not just with guys named Miller or Wilson.
There are two Sizemores playing in Florida, Scott in Miami and Grady in Tampa.
The Rays also officially still have catcher Jose Molina, while Yadier Molina is catching in St. Louis.
The Yankees had Rafael Soriano closing in 2012 and Alfonso Soriano playing the outfield in 2013.
On May 27 this year, Chris Young was pitching the sixth inning for the Royals against the Yankees when the Yanks brought in Chris Young to pinch run for Carlos Beltran. Unfortunately, by the time Chris Young came up to bat, Chris Young had already been replaced by Ryan Madsen...

That happens. Problem is, our game interface can be confusing if two players have the exact same first and last name. I had one case when I walked away from a pitching prospect (who would have been the only successful Asian draftee I ever had) because it would have been really confusing to set pitching roles with two pitchers named Minoru Gotou on the roster. At the time, the list of Japanese names was really short compared to the number of Japanese players, though. Nowadays two player identical first and last name on the same team would be quite a coincidence.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah.....I don't know why I bothered.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
We have been actively adding new surnames over the last several seasons. Part of the problem though, is that it takes quite a few seasons for new players (and therefore the new surname distribution) to filter up to the big leagues.

But keep in mind, there is a lot of duplicates even at the big leagues. Check out: Top 10 Most Popular Last Names in Baseball

First name to: The Most Common Name in Baseball

Steve

Updated Sunday, November 1 2015 @ 10:17:45 pm PST
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It wouldn't be a problem if the nicknames were included in more displays. I know, it's a matter of column width, but for both the lineup and pitching selection, that would help if you have players with identical names on the team.
I think it makes perfect sense that we have four Rickey Smiths in BB, but the way our lineup selection is currently set up, even having two of our 28 players named "R. Smith" would force you to check their individual skill profile before setting your lineup.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it makes perfect sense that we have four Rickey Smiths in BB, but the way our lineup selection is currently set up, even having two of our 28 players named "R. Smith" would force you to check their individual skill profile before setting your lineup.

How about including uniform numbers on the Lineup selection page?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Does it even let you set two R. Smith entries in a lineup? I had two players with the same last name and first initial (but different actual first names) and the lineup screen counted then as the same person so only one could be set. At the time, Steve just renamed one guy, but I don't know if the core problem ever actually got fixed.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Like I said, we have increased surnames (and given names too) by quite a lot so hopefully this will be really rare.

There is always a chance that your you have overlaps...but I have only had to rectify issues like this once. In real life this happens too...my company used to have somebody with exactly my name in another office. I used to get a ton of his phone calls (unfortunately I never got his checks).

Anyway, we have tired to really hard to have realistic names sets for the different countries. A lot of games have a huge name DB, but a lot of the names are just bizarre and unrealistic.

Steve

Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From what I can tell, your names fit their nationalities quite well.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure how many will get the joke...
This playe's name is quite a misnomer:)
Jamal Kruger
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Please explain...

Steve