Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Draft "Roster Spot"   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been chatting recently about the possibility of a roster spot specifically for the draft pick. How I see it working is that you've have the draft as it is now where you have the choice of 5 players, once you've drafted one of those players they'd sit in a phantom roster spot for 3 days until you decide whether to sign them or not.

Pro's:
No need to drop a player to see if you'll get an upgrade, once the player is there you can decide whether they're and upgrade or not

Con's:
It may weaken the waiver wire a little as the top teams won't drop to them what might be a weak player, where currently those players are gems to lower teams like my own

Whether that roster spot takes over the current 50th spot or an extra 51st spot doesn't matter hugely as it will be the same for everyone.

I feel it would add a touch of realism in that you can compare directly with what you have before you decide whether you grab them, and also means that you'll have to cut someone from your 40(50) man roster as you may have to in MLB.

I realise it has been discussed before in a similar format and that coding may have been an issue - I know nothing about that, and if its too hard then it might render the whole discussion pointless, but in the meantime - thoughts?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, it's painful making room for a draftee. I like the pain. We normally keep our roster at 49 anyway for waiver claims. I like it as it is.

A couple weeks ago I was surprised to see a claim come my way on Thursday night. That filled my roster at 50. It took me several days to figure out who I should cut. That meant I was out of the running for further claims and I couldn't draft until I figured it out. Oh, well. That seemed completely fair to me.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd come down on the side of being able to use the entire roster and not having to use the 50th spot just for draft picks, so I'd be for this provided a "rejected" player ends up on waivers as any other cut player would.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This kind of seems like delaying the inevitable with the potential for added heartache when someone doesn't log in on time. I don't see the added benefit. You are going to have to cut someone regardless. We all always want to get more roster space. That's just part of being a manager. Having your roster capped at 50 vs. 49 doesn't really seem like its worth adding a lot of extra code for. Really this just feels like asking for 51 spots instead of 50. At which point, I don't really see the point. Minds well ask for 55 spots.

EDIT: You should be able to tell if someone is an upgrade BEFORE you bring them on the team. Its not like you are actually brining them to camp to see their performance. Their ratings don't change over the course of 3 days. You have the exact same information 3 days later as you had on day 1.

EDIT 2: I would be loath to lose my 50th spot to this phantom spot that wasn't adding any capability. Just the possibility that I might lose a player if I didn't move him off the 50th slot quickly enough. This phantom spot as described adds nothing. Please explain your pro a little better because I see no pro in turning one of my slots into an auto-drop spot.

Updated Saturday, October 17 2015 @ 12:34:30 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Rock, don't like the idea of losing a spot to only get to use it on a draft pick and don't really see the pro to adding a spot that only allows you to keep a guy on trial. It takes me five minutes max to know whether someone is worth keeping, it is blatantly obvious after I see the full player report (upon choosing my draft pick).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Really everything you are looking for can be accomplished simply by assuming you have a 49 man roster. Always keep the 50th spot open and you can achieve exactly what you are saying without any extra coding and chance for people to lose good players through confusion.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree, I'm not sure this is needed, a lot of teams keep the roster at 49 or less anyway. 50 is already a pretty generous number I think.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think I'll bother any further, that's a fairly unanimous NO! :)

Previous Page | Show All |