Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Waiver Idea   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I will preface this by saying that I'm not complaining about the current system, it is the best idea we have currently, but we can all agree it can be improved so this is my suggestion

Rather than a lottery winner among teams that have placed a claim on a player we could replace it with a algorithm where the winner of a claim will be the team, among all the teams who have a made a claim, that has gone the longest without winning a claim.
For example:
Team A last claimed a player on June 1 of 2024
Team B last claimed a player on May 22 of 2024
Team C last claimed a player on October 3 of 2024

These three teams all lay claim to the same player so Team B will win the claim.

This will have to be team based not owner so that the algorithm doesn't get defeated every time a new owner picks up a team.

Eventually this will allow an even spread of claims among all the teams.

This will also change the way owners bid. Currently we just go through and place as many claims as we can often resulting in players being released right after they are claimed. In this system owners will be more aware thant once they win a claim they are unlikely to win another one soon. So owners will thus be more selective on who they put a claim on

Of course this will make it more difficult to put in back up claims. For example I want player A but if I don't get him I want player B. But if player b is claimed before player A's claim comes up then it backfired cause now you don't have a chance for player A.
This will require owners to scrutinize the dates of their claims better. But also on all claims being decided on one date perhaps the computer can go through the list assigning players to teams starting with the player who has the highest SI on that given date and working down to the player with the lowest SI. So on June 23 player A SI of 103 is going to be assigned and so is player B with SI of 92. If an owner claims both player A and B but B is more of a back up if they don't get A then they won't have to worry because player A will be assigned first. If they get player A then great and they won't have a chance for player B but if player A falls through they still have a chance for player B.

See what I'm getting at here? Thoughts?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So this would have at least one major side effect. That being that very few players would ever get claimed. Why would I waste my one chance of winning a 15 POT player by putting a claim on a 14 POT guy. So basically only a dozen players would get claimed each year, and the rest would just be first come first serve from FA. I prefer the current system myself.
jdick1990

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea, it would create a big advantage for people who would be able to be on when players go from the waiver to FA.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Every once in a while a suggestion like this pops up. Create a waiver ranking list from 1 to 756. If you get a successful claim (you're highest on the list), you get moved to the bottom of the list. Simple.

This works well for small fantasy leagues, like a 10-team fantasy football league. It doesn't work so well for mega-leagues like Broken Bat. It creates weird dynamics and problems, some of which were mentioned in other posts.

You might want to search the forums and read some of the other threads on this topic. The one that appeals to me the most is the two-tiered waiver system. I think it received more support than anything else, but still not enough to gain any momentum.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just throwing it out there. I see your points. Should've realized it can't be that simple.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Of the ideas I've seen for reforming the waiver system, Seca's system was the only one I think I would support.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As already stated, this system has already been suggested before, and roundly debated. I liked Seca's idea for reforming waivers as well, but it faced criticism from a couple of players who have since left the game along with a few who are still here, and it seemed the most popular idea.

Previous Page | Show All |