Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Base Running   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be great to have more control over a lot of things, pinch hitters/runners in certain situations, defensive replacements, a little more control over pitching replacements, etc.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Today's games are a perfect example of why the current base running settings are illogical. The opposition has an outfielder with an 18 arm and another with a 5. How am I to determine by base runner what setting to use? The base runner has very little to do with the decision of whether or not to attempt to get the extra base. What is needed are settings like I mentioned in an earlier post that allow us to weigh in on all factors.

One thing I didn't mention before is that the current system is incredibly inefficient. I have to go in every day and check out the outfielders I'm playing and manipulate the settings accordingly (the same is true with stealing settings and the opposition's catcher). If lineups change, either by the other owner's decision or due to injury, the desired settings could be off. Having settings that automatically adjust to in-game situations would be far superior to the current ones.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Does the game not take situations into account right now?

I always assumed the settings just increased/decreased the liklihood of an event occurring but the base chance was still taking several factors into account so that a 5 speed guy won't run on a 20 arm catcher even at ++.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Base running and stealing are separate settings and situations. Base running is referring to trying to advance on the bases with a ball in play.

I think the AI does consider multiple factors. I don't think it judges things outside of the base runner's settings enough, though. I've collected data on it for a few seasons and am discouraged by the results. Admittedly, it's difficult to make concrete observations because we have no idea where the ball is in play. Yes, we know it's the right fielder, for instance, but where in right field? By necessity, they have to all be lumped together.

As I mentioned previously, the individual runner means very little to me. The only thing that matters is the likelihood of successfully gaining the extra base.

I'll use another example to illustrate my point. Game situation--trailing by one in the ninth inning with two outs and a man on second. Batter hits a single to an outfielder.

I don't care what runner is on second. If my third base coach makes a split second decision that he has anything above a 40% chance of scoring, I want him waved home. Weigh everything and if the odds are above my threshold, send him. That's what third base coaches do.

Continuing with the example, right now if I have a runner I've given ++ he's more likely to try to advance than one with --. This is silly. There are times when the hit and other factors will make the -- more likely to safely advance than a ++ runner.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Man, stealing settings need some retooling, too. These decisions by the manager drive me crazy. Case in point from yesterday...it's the first inning with runners on first and third with two outs. The guy gets caught stealing second to end the inning. WTH? This is a TERRIBLE decision. By the way, I had the steal setting to - on that player and he still went. The only time I would even consider stealing there is if I was down two in the ninth; in any other situation this is a major no-no. In the first inning it's completely ridiculous.

The other common thing that occurs all too frequently is stealing third. It's bad most of the time, but when someone attempts that with two outs I totally lose my mind. If he's so fast that the manager thinks he can steal third, wouldn't you take your chances instead waving him on to home on a single?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Good base runners and good base stealers are not the same thing to note.

So to your question: not necessarily. A guy could be really good at getting good walking leads and jumps on pitches and steal base well while not being super fast. The same guy maybe can't score from 2nd on a single as reliably.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand they are different. I still disagree with you. Almost anyone who is attempting to steal third has above average speed. That doesn't really even matter, though. Getting thrown out at third is crime, and it becomes a capital offense with two outs.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not saying stealing 3rd is a good strategy... I'm just explaining how there could potentially be a situation where a guy's odds of stealing 3rd are greater than scoring from 2nd on a single.

Never make the 3rd out at 3rd is a tenant of baseball. I agree with you here.

But people still do try to steal 3rd base occasionally (hopefully not with 2 outs) and heck... people have tried (and succeeded) to steal home. What are your chances of pulling that one off successfully?

That does make me curious if BB players try to steal home...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That has been asked before, the answer is no. I wish I had a link to the thread, but I don't...
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a little frustrated with base-running settings. Open to ideas.

Slow guys only have 2 settings. X, or not X.

Previous Page | Show All |