Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> unlimited free agency   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
just a suggestion that many people may hate...

with free agency now going viral...how about a balancing system so people don't just abuse this and release players who are playing poorly and sign new ones constantly...potentially running through 100 players or so in one season...(not saying anyone would...but there is that potential if you think it'd give you an edge)

my suggestion is...releasing a player during the season will cost you a penalty...like...you are still responsible for his contract unless he is picked up by a different team...that's how it's done in real life i believe...if you drop a guy before his contract is up then you have to pay him half until he's picked up...

but since we don't have contracts...say John Doe has a salary of 2 million for that year...you release him...you have to instantly pay him out however much he would earn for the rest of the year if you kept him...so if it's half way through the year...you pay him a 1 mil lump sum...if it's 1/4 through the season...you pay him 1.5 mil...3/4 through the season....5 mil...etc etc...so if you think you can gain an advantage by constantly shedding players that aren't performing to sign others...even if you're salary level at that moment is kept to a reasonable level...you're gonna go broke fast from all the contracts you'll have to pay out...
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i realized i kind of contradicted myself...

so...option 2...is no lump sum...but they continue to be on your weekly expenses until they are signed by someone else...who takes on their salary to finish the season...

when the season is done...even if he's not signed...that's it, that's all...

and so...you want to release a bunch of people...or even one guy...unless you really want to release the guy and are satisfied with paying out that extra bit of cash...you release him in the off-season...i say the off season is considered End of playoffs to end of Spring training...so you release a guy in that time frame...you're fine...

and considering we ended our last season Sunday? and spring training is gonna last till the 12th...that gives you aprox. 2 weeks to get things in order...plenty of time
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a non-problem and so needs no solution. If anyone thinks it would be advantageous to drop a player because he's "cold" and pick up another probably lower rated player, let them do it. If you think about it for just a minute you can see where that move would not be smart.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have considered adding a transaction fee, but in general, I don't see anything wrong with adding and dropping players. Am I missing something?

Steve
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a non-problem and so needs no solution. If anyone thinks it would be advantageous to drop a player because he's "cold" and pick up another probably lower rated player, let them do it. If you think about it for just a minute you can see where that move would not be smart.

not necessarily...especially with the ratings being "fuzzy"...some good players could be passed over with people thinking they're not so great...and people might be quick to drop players in a slump thinking that their ratings aren't as good as posted...or when the computer guys release their overpriced players so you drop 2, 3 players each week cause you could have 2 or 3 better players becoming available to you...

Steve...it might not happen this way...but i just think it's unrealistic to have a revolving door on your club house...
Erkuza

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I say let see how it goes this new season before we start making any suggestions.
Ajax

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not that Ive done this but the thought did occur

With free drops and signs, what is to prevent teams from picking up high contract players and playing them for the week only to drop them before the finance event runs each thursday and not pay them?

Similarly with the resizing ballparks you could play all week in a big park and then shrink it to min capacity before the finance event although I believe the resizing was meant to be a temp thing
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The problem I had with the prior system is that it was going to take me 17 weeks just to fill out my roster. Now that I have a full roster I don't care if we go back to one a week. However, I don't see any difference in picking up a great player as soon as the computer player drops him or having to wait until Friday. As to dropping "cold" players it's silly. If it's a player you've had for a while you know how he performs and if he's good it's silly to drop him for an unknown. If it's a fairly new player, then you don't know him any more than the replacement and you are just spinning your wheels. The only reason to drop a player (other than payroll or age issues) is if you have decided you know his level of play and you are not satisfied with it.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
>Similarly with the resizing ballparks you could play all week in a big park and then shrink it to min capacity before the finance event although I believe the resizing was meant to be a temp thing

The unlimited ballpark capacity changes was basically for last season. You will be locked into a ballpark size & configuration after spring training.

Steve
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you drop a player, you should have to pay his salary as long as he sits on waivers. Once he becomes a free agent, he should be off your payroll.

I don't think there should be a transaction fee for moving players normally.

Previous Page | Show All |