Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Playoffs   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you expanded the playoffs for legends why wouldn't you do it for all the leagues? Otherwise its just dead time for everyone. Promotion and relegation is completely separate from the playoffs, so I don't see why you would treat Legends any different than all the other leagues.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, I kinda like the expanded playoffs for Legends only. If winning the Legends league title is the World Series of Broken Bat, I kinda feel like there should be a Division championship series first.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You do realize you will probably never play in Legends, and while they are playing an extended series and gaining extra XP (to keep the rich rich), you'll just be twiddling your thumbs, right? What is your reasoning for not wanting to play additional games and get some extra XP at the end of the season? If Legends were expanded I really don't see any good reason you wouldn't expand all leagues. Easier to maintain codewise, and there isn't really any reason to give additional advantageous to folks already earning more money then everyone else.

I just don't get the logic where we say we want the playoffs to mean more, but only in legends. In that case why not just eliminate the playoffs entirely for all leagues except for legends since they don't mean anything to anyone.

Updated Sunday, July 19 2015 @ 9:58:31 pm PDT
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Man, I can never get on the right side of these arguments. You make good points, though. With them playing while I'm "twiddling my thumbs," I guess I'm not really getting a chance to get rich, now will I? I don't know what to do to the playoffs: whether they should affect promotion/relegation or not (probably not), how to set them up, whatever. I can't quite put a finger on it, but something just seems "missing" with the current format. Maybe I'm too used to American sports, but the playoffs should be more than just 1 series. Of course, you could increase the size of the leagues and have an EL and a WL (Eastern League and Western League) with 2 divisions each (Idk, North and South?). Really that would be the only way to have a 2 round playoff that didn't affect promotion yet still has a 1st place team as League Champion. Or, we could leave the League structure as is; only a 2nd place team that won't even promote could be the champ. Personally, I like the former idea rather than the latter, but one problem is that combining divisions would be problematic for Legends, because there are only 12 teams. However, expanding it to 24 is a paradox. You can't randomly select 12 teams from lower leagues because then they couldn't combine, but you can't just create 12 Legends teams out of thin air because then half of the best league in the game would be bots, and newbies would have the ability to start off with a Legends team. Yea, if anyone can solve the "Expanding the Leagues Paradox," I'd be genuinely interested in your solution.

Ok, that's enough about that. Now, the most important thing. I'll never be in Legends. You're right, my 2023 team won't ever be in Legends. But my 2033 team might. Please don't criticize my team like that. It took me five seasons to get a team $10 million in debt to a point where a financial update didn't put us in the red. Its hard to play when you can't even sign free agents and waivers are up to chance. Of course, by the time Steve put in the minimum free agent signing privilege I was basically out of my debt, but still, minimum salary players are role players, if that. When I first took over this team, it was unbelievable how many young guys incapable of sitting on the bench in the big leagues were in my starting lineups. Finally, tanking my first 2 seasons and developing my minor leaguers is starting to pay off. Are we even a top flight Division VI team? No. But we definitely have a chance to win the East, particularly because I think I'm the only team in my division above .500 against the much tougher West division and my dream goal is to take my team #12 (an original Legends team back in 2001) all the way back up to the top. Its not going to be easy, and it could take a while. But don't underestimate the North Port Knights. We're much tougher than we look on paper.

(Looks, at lineup, 3 players are injured.)
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Creating an additional Legends league with 12 new teams probably isn't as problematic as creating the 744 new feeder teams required to support it! :o)

In all seriousness, the only way your proposed number of Legends teams would work without drastically increasing or reducing the number of teams in the game would be to recut the existing teams by rank so:

Top 24 = Legends
Next 48 = LL2
Next 96 = LL3
Next 192 = LL4
Next 384 = LL5

--Total = 744

LL6 would then need to be scrapped, along with the 12 remaining lowest ranked teams.

That's going to have an impact on every single team in the game right there, and I'm not sure how many takers you'll get for the sake of introducing play-offs at the top...

MoLester

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The only change i would make regarding playoffs is scratching them for all leagues except Legends. With the rating and fan mood hits you take from losing the playoffs, I find it a burden. Or make the impact similar to league games.
raygen12

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like the idea of expanding legends and make the playoff more like the MLB. But we have to find away to do it without screwing up the rest of the system. Which is possible with a little bit of thinking!!!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't mean to criticize your team cqk328. It was hyperbole based off the fact you are currently in LL VI and it is going to take many seasons of strong play to get up to Legends.

I still think it makes sense to have the same structure at every league level. I don't see how playoff mean more at Legends than anywhere else. You are playing for bragging rights in your league, that's it, just like in MLB.
raygen12

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What if you expand Legends to like 24 teams and add teams into the pyramid to fill the hole?
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Creating an additional Legends league with 12 new teams probably isn't as problematic as creating the 744 new feeder teams required to support it! :o)

In all seriousness, the only way your proposed number of Legends teams would work without drastically increasing or reducing the number of teams in the game would be to recut the existing teams by rank so:

Top 24 = Legends
Next 48 = LL2
Next 96 = LL3
Next 192 = LL4
Next 384 = LL5

--Total = 744

LL6 would then need to be scrapped, along with the 12 remaining lowest ranked teams.

That's going to have an impact on every single team in the game right there, and I'm not sure how many takers you'll get for the sake of introducing play-offs at the top...

This is what happens. "Filling" in the pyramid isn't as easy as it sounds...

Previous Page | Show All |