Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Some suggestions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Is being better only about having 9 good players? If a team starts losing only because 1 player is injured, are they really better than the other teams?
Having roster problems is part of every team sport, not only baseball. In football (or for you Americans out there - soccer) you will play only 2 games a season against each team. Probably both teams will have some injuries. The challenge is to have enough backup to support the holes in lineup.

I know I'm fresh here but a fresh look is sometimes needed. Glad to have started this discussion.

That's a logical fallacy, because it is timing and sequence (parts of luck) as much as depth that are determining factors. This has come up before, the idea is not really fresh, it is simply a different view. Some people think random is exciting, other people tend to prefer structure and order, it is simply a different outlook. There is already PLENTY of random and luck in this game imo, therefore I am completely against this sort of change.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Omg! This is ridiculous. We're talking about such a small change which would go unnoticed by about 95% of users.

This is sort of similar to a lineup analysis Pete Palmer performed in his book The Hidden Game of Baseball. In it, he determined that should a manager bat his best nine batters, the most productive lineup one can make from those 9 batters would win but 1-2 more games than the least productive lineup. For example, a team with Bartolo Colon and Babe Ruth could bat Colon leadoff and Ruth last and lose only 1-2 more games than a lineup with Ruth hitting third and Colon last (On average of course).

This issue we are discussing is even less of a factor, and its all about luck. The reason we are discussing this change is because of how injuries affect teams? Really??? I don't know about the rest of teams, but in a league situation, I am going to roll out the best nine players I have available (Unless I'm developing a rookie or something) in order to win the game. Who cares if I'm playing the 1927 Yankees or the 2015 Phillies? Your players could get hurt ANYTIME during the season. So, there is just as much of a chance of a key player injuring themselves against a strong opponent or a weak one.

No offense, but this argument makes no sense. I understand you want to make this more like the MLB. Really, I get it, and I too would like this to be as much of an MLB environment as possible. (Yes, trades included, but that's for another time ;) ) Not to speak for Steve here, but I imagine he has so many other important things he can be working on, like some of your other reasonable suggestions you made in the initial post, or the improved waiver claim page, or the past draft picks page, or trades :)

Updated Sunday, June 28 2015 @ 11:33:06 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't really tell which argument you are saying makes no sense Slug...

Seems to me like there are two solid cases laid out with people having preferences on both sides. What's wrong with that? Why are you taking offense to people talking about something they care about just because you personally don't care about it?

Personally, I don't have strong feelings on either side of this argument, but some folks do and that should be ok. It is pointless to write a long rambling email about how the thread is pointless...

The discussion is status quo over increased realism. Both have merit. Steve will racks and stack and prioritize and make his decision.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

I was talking about the argument we have been discussing for the past 12 posts. Sorry, I should have clarified further. In case you still don't know what I'm talking about:

...and that is a challenge that teams would have to overcome. Badly timed injuries can happen and would have a bigger impact than they have now. But it would make the game more interesting and realistic, don't you think?

Now, to answer your questions.

Seems to me like there are two solid cases laid out with people having preferences on both sides. What's wrong with that?

Uhh...nothing

Why are you taking offense to people talking about something they care about just because you personally don't care about it?

Uhh...i'm not. And for the record, I do care a little bit. But said schedule changes would just have such a small impact if any at all that I don't consider it to be all that important.

I understand that people have opinions. Where would our country be today without the opposing party's opinions? I fail to see what in my post came off as "offensive" or "rambling." Was it that my post was too long? Did you take offense to my use of capital letters for effect? Did I incorrectly use emojis? Was it the fact that my post had 321 words instead of 327?

The irony is in all this that you seem to have to taken offense to my post and my opinions. :/

Really, I don't want a long, inane argument that nobody wants to see like with me and Mig. But if you are wondering if I took offense to your post, I did.
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wait, are you talking about me?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
See. I thought you were taking the other side of the argument. That didn't come across in your post at all. And starting a post with valley girl grammar is never a good way to try and establish credibility.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
OMG!!! :) Fair enough. I'll limit the acronym usage to a minimum.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

Mig2015 wrote:
>Wait, are you talking about me?

I'm positive he's referring to a flame thread he had with the other Mig, the big one, the owner of Orlando in Legends league
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Slug
For the record, I did not feel offended by your so called rambling ;)

But said schedule changes would just have such a small impact if any at all that I don't consider it to be all that important.

I never said it was important. But look at recent changes made by Steve:
- adding the magic number. Is it vital to the game? No. Is it a nice flavour? Yes.
- adding ground out / fly out ratio. Is it vital or important? No. But you can see how managers reacted to it in a separate forum thread.

Another point that is common for above changes, and suggestion that we are currently discussing, is that it makes the game look more like the real thing.

Not to speak for Steve here, but I imagine he has so many other important things he can be working on

True. But he still works on small things, as mentioned above.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
None of those supposed points actually addressed the issue raised by Seca, nor did they provide a good positive reason beyond adding "flavor" and for those reasons, I still hope that Steve does not do this.

Previous Page | Show All |