Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Small addition to statistics   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
What do you mean by adding the average statistics per season? Do you mean the overall statistics (league + cup) sort of thing?

Steve
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I think they are referring to averages of each statistical category.
For example:
Avg HR per season, Avg K's per season.
For a good example, ERA and WHIP that are calculated at the bottom of the stats on a player card average the ERAs and WHIPs of the previous seasons to display a career number. On the other hand, homers and strikeouts are simply added to a sum for the career #. Personally, I think it would be unnecessary because it only requires division to calculate mentally (180 HR in 9 seasons=20 HR/season). However, one stat they like to mention is the 162 game average or projection in the MLB. Obviously that would be 160 games in BB, but it is useful in determining the potential in players that maybe only play a 1/2 season or 1/4 season. For example. Bob Smith (creative name, I know) is called up for a team that is tanking and wants to get him some big league experience. He plays 40 games, bats .280 in 150 ABs and hits 8 HRs. Those may look like average stats (ok, I know that they are good for 40 games), but if you look at his 160 game projection you see a solid hitter easily capable of around 200 hits and 32 bombs. I may sound stupid, but this would be cool if it doesn't take up too much space. I think some people will back me on it. I hope...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Is there a site that does this with MLB statistics?

Thanks,

Steve
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Baseball-reference.com does this.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
^That's exactly the site I was thinking of. An example can be found underneath the yearly statistics of my man Michael Brantley. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brantmi02-bat.shtml?mobile=false

Go Tribe, by the way!

Updated Tuesday, May 19 2015 @ 7:22:53 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So basically, if a player played for two or more teams in a particular season, you have a row with the total for all clubs for that season?

Or are you talking about a 162 Game Avg.?

Steve

Updated Tuesday, May 19 2015 @ 9:33:22 pm PDT
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve - cqk hit the nail on the head. Would just be his average stats over the course of his career, regardless of how many teams he played for.

Projected stats for the rest of a season would also be awesome.

Updated Tuesday, May 19 2015 @ 9:26:06 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the 162, or in this case, 160 game average. It's a way to easily compare apples to apples. This is a statistic I could use to evaluate players.

I don't think a subtotal for a player if he played for multiple teams would be beneficial.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, probably should have specified. @Buff was talking about averages over a career. I kinda suggested the 160 game average/projection as an alternative because an average wouldn't really show what players are truly capable of because it does not account for games missed due to injury, etc. In the averages suggested by @Buff, someone who hits 15 homers a season and only 80 games played would be "equal" to a player who averaged 15 over a number of full seasons. However, the 160 game projection would clearly show that Player A in this scenario would average 30 HR's a year had he played in all 160. In my opinion, its more accurate. (Unless the averaged stats also show average games played. That would account for "misleading stats.")
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry to never respond about this -
I figured maybe the system could ignore outlier years
(Say a player plays for ten seasons, but his first he only had 3 BA's) and then do it that way.
And obviously the projections for a player for the whole year would be his current total multiplied by the percentage of the season left

Previous Page | Show All |