Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Day off Checkbox   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
GreenYoshi

Brookhaven Mustangs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I would kindly like to suggest adding a way to prevent managers from using certain players during games in which they are given a strategic day-off. For example, I’ve posted about my catcher Chris Hampton before and I’ve written up a game schedule of about 3 games and then a day-off to prevent a “fatigue” injury. However the manager/game engine puts Hampton in as a pitch-hitter anyways whether that’s behind the plate or wherever since he’s the best available hitter off the bench and he lands up playing the rest of the game in the field. Same thing happened to OF. Collins who sorely needed a D/O but was used as a PH anyways.

I understand that there are ways to prevent this such as crossing out the “pitch hit for” option and that’s fine for one player, but some of my players I want replaced preferably by my other bench players. And sometimes I think managers don’t always have to use the best hitter even for a 1 inning spot --- sometimes a player just needs a complete break. Since we do not have an integrated automatic day-off feature yet, I would propose a checkbox in the Management settings that disables the manager from using the player with the exception as injury replacement. Basically it would be beneficial for active owners who shuffle their lineup before each game. I could see it helpful for any everyday player that just needs to take a day or two off.

Obviously it would be the responsibility of the owner to uncheck it when they no longer need it. I can also see the owner keeping their lineup the same and if they check mark a player in the lineup, their backup will get the start so no shuffle is needed.

I’m speaking specifically for position players since they don’t have a transparent fatigue level and I’m not quite sure if player fatigue plays a large part yet or if playing X number of games leads to longer injuries. The only way I know that a player needs a day-off is through their poor performance in consecutive series and such. A checkbox for pitchers probably isn’t needed since it monitors itself with the fatigue bar.

This is just a small suggestion and wouldn’t need an overhaul of the game mechanics or anything. I just figured it would help reign in control of manager actions and maybe I’ll see a difference in limiting position player injuries. I guess it largely depends how injuries affect other teams or it's just me.

Here's an example. Hampton pitch-hit and played right field. Luckily he didn't need to field anything.

Updated Monday, May 18 2015 @ 2:50:05 pm PDT
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
good idea
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So you'd like to check this box in the management settings and he'd not be used (like he was injured) in all games until the box was unchecked?

Or after one game the box automatically becomes unchecked?

What exactly is the advantage of this strategy? Sit a player to avoid him getting hurt and sitting out more games?

Thanks,

Steve
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea, from what I gather it would essentially be comparable to a day off in the MLB. Whether that transfers to less "Fatigue" injuries or something like that in the engine; I don't know exactly how that would work. As for the box, I kinda like the automatic uncheck idea, but I could see that being confusing if someone forgets who they sat. Hopefully they'd remember. In my opinion, the automatic would benefit players who might not have the free time to change their lineup between games.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe have a check box for each game the following day? That way you could setup exactly who is going to play which game for the next day? Reset each day so folks don't accidently leave a guy out all week?
GreenYoshi

Brookhaven Mustangs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The #1 thing I'm looking for is an option to restrict the manager/game engine from using certain players so yes, to avoid using them like they're injuried.

#2. I'm using it in the context of a "day off" because I also believe it will help avoid "fatigue" injuries or long-term injuries. I only base it on my observations of my team as I don't know the relevance of fatigue levels for position players.

My original suggestion was to have a checkbox so owners can manually click it if they want a particular player out. I was thinking they were left unchecked by default and owners would have the option when needed. And like Steve, CQK, and Rock have suggested, it resets after that game assuming you only need it for one game.

Edit: Almost forgot - thank you for the consideration Steve.

Updated Tuesday, May 19 2015 @ 6:44:19 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm. Apparently your experience is different than mine. I've had several instances where a guy had at least one day off and suffered from fatigue after just one game back.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
^I think what the expected outcome of a true day off checkbox is that somewhere in the engine, it would reduce (or maybe even eliminate) the chance of a fatigue injury in the next game. I don't think this really happens currently. It would be a useless addition if players suffered a fatigue injury after being rested, but hopefully if it is added Steve would realize that and somehow put a fix in there.

Previous Page | Show All |