Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Free-Agent market   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Instead of minor league players having a fixed total of 0.2 million, they will now not be able to be sold until they spent a year ON THE MAJOR ROSTER.

No, just no. I need the roster flexibility to be able to cut a guy in the minors who is not developing like I need him to. I have 50 players now, the guy I'm going to cut on Friday will be the minor leaguer I deem least likely to develop. I do not want my choices constrained by the need of someone to play major league ball before being able to cut him.

This is why a free agent market will continue to be shot down by the majority of the active owners here, because any system designed to curb abuses ends up being either far too hard to program or arbitrarily penalizing owners who are not really doing anything bad.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No, no, no newtman. That's not what I meant.

You can still release players. You can release anyone you want at any time. Nothing changes there. The only difference is with this proposal you just will not be able to get any money for a player unless they have been with your big club for a year.

Gosh, I can't imagine having a roster constrained like that. It would literally be impossible to manage your roster. :)

Updated Monday, April 6 2015 @ 8:53:39 pm PDT
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok, here is a summary of the proposal:

changes to the free agent/ waiver system:
none

changes to releasing players:
none

The only change is if a player was on the big league team for over a season and the owner wants to release that player, they can get a small chunk of money for him. The minimum would be 0.2 mil, and the bank would calculate the amount an owner would get for a player based on the player's SI. (Different rates for pitchers and hitters)

I'm not going to through the step by step again on why this would help financially troubled teams as I pointed out all the reasons above. I'm interested in other's opinions on this. To me, this seems too easy and simple, almost like I'm missing a very obvious problem. At the moment, I really don't see a humungous downside to this. Let me know if you like this, have any problems with this, or have any revised proposals.

Updated Tuesday, April 7 2015 @ 9:38:07 am PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like anything about this proposal. Sorry, that's the truth.

Like reality, developing guys is a necessity. You know some will work out, some won't. When they don't, you drop them and move on.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's just it Mike.

Example:

Herb Benn is a 20 year old, 13 POT college draftee by the Minnesota Tribe. Like all new minor leaguers, he is given a 0.2 million dollar annual salary. For four seasons, Benn is developed in the minors. At age 24, he gets the call and his salary bumps up to 0.5 million, but underperforms all season. His SI stunted, and is seemingly going nowhere. Since Benn is not very good, the bank values him at the minimum - 0.2 million. Eager to salvage something, the Tribe sell Benn into free agency and collect their 0.2 million. Over the past five seasons, the Tribe paid Benn 1.5 million for his salary. ((0.2 * 5) + (0.5 * 1)) So, the Tribe lose 1.3 million. The Tribe had a prospect that didn't work out, and they got very little for him because of it.

I might be misunderstanding your point Mike. Could you give an example of what you mean?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I explained in detail further up in the thread a few things I don't like about this, so there's no need to go over them again. About your last point...yes, if you try developing a guy that doesn't pan out, you'll lose money on the player; so does everyone else. It's the cost of doing business. While I like having some financial elements to the game, I think it's a bad idea to increase its importance.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, your earlier post suggested that rather than the idea that I have been presenting, instead give discounts to homegrown players and lower salaries a bit?
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Man, no one sees the potential in this idea, @Slug. Oh, probably should give @loul credit for establishing it, sorry! Anyway, I see what Mike's saying, but I'm sure Steve's coding could easily block off all loopholes that people would attempt. Personally, I believe its a great idea that people invent problems for that would never occur once implemented. Remember, we're not all experienced coders here, are we? We just want to experience the thrill of managing a franchise without the risk of losing our jobs due to one too many 100-loss seasons. Geez, so many haters seem to suffocate ideas before they take their first breath. Whoops, sorry for going off on a tangent there. Anyways, give this suggestion a chance. Will it probably be shaky and flawed at first? Yes. Then again, didn't Steve probably work with flaws when he first created Broken Bat? Nothing is perfect the first time around. Or ever, really. In all fairness, if a game was perfect, it wouldn't require a Suggestions forum, now would it? Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on the game. There's no such thing as a "perfect game" (unless you're on the mound or at a bowling alley :)), but that doesn't mean we can't work together to make this one the best out there. (In my opinion, it already is, but there are some stubborn people out there.) Give this some thought, guys. No one should be reluctant to suggest something because they know that someone will just put it down. Look for the best, not the worst.

Updated Tuesday, April 14 2015 @ 6:33:01 pm PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
As a guy that has had many a suggestion stomped into the dirt in his time, I understand where you're coming from on that front, but I'd be very opposed to any sort of transfer market or day trading in Broken Bat.

Sure, on paper it sounds like a no-brainer to add something like this, but inevitably it becomes ALL the game is about. Just drafting and training players to sell for profit. For anyone who enjoys the way player development works in Broken Bat now, there wouldn't be any fun to be had in a transfer dominated game.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree haselrig, but i already made all the points above and it never really caught fire. I don't think this is going to take off, so I'm not really going to fight for it any more.

Previous Page | Show All |