Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Offseason league for Rookies   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be for this as long as the training received is applied as it is now. Broken bat's model of player development is one of the things that makes this game special. I'd hate to see the gamey style of adding points to a prospect's specific attributes that you see in a lot of these types of games get introduced here. Broken Bat's model is more realistic and reflects the way a team's prospects develop in real life.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

If it were to essentially be one extra training period, going to winter ball every year for a decade would just be the equivalent of one year of training.

Except training seems to become almost irrelevant after they are ready for the majors. This would not expand their max potential, this would simply get them there slightly faster. I agree we shouldn't get to choose the skills trained, it should be like training is now applying some training to all skills and whatever hits the threshold to pop does so, whatever doesn't does not. Remember with training it is several weeks between pops for lots of players so even with a full week of extra training it would not guarantee ANY visible gains. As to what Frank said, as Mike already pointed out, spring training is listed as giving experience, not training. The training received seems to only come from the first training update just happening to be during spring training, as opposed to any boost in training from spring training. Thus this would be very different from spring training.

My point with this was to say that applying this extra training to a player for 10 straight seasons would both be a waste because players can only seem to gain a certain amount of SI through training before needing experience, nor would applying a full training update to 5 players unbalance things as the longest anyone tends to have someone in the minors is 7 seasons, so therefore the most it could possibly do is get them to major league ready a half season earlier than they would have. My hope it to actually be able to get these guys who are only in AA or A ball at 25 a bit farther along in the training process so that they can hit their cap closer to 27 than 30 (because the training comes slower in the majors than the minors, offset by the experience gains).

Updated Friday, March 27 2015 @ 6:41:44 am PDT
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
All for the idea of Winterball
Stats nice but not necessary or even possible
Five players max is good and able to set the Primary/secondary as we do now and all players on roster eligible
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Totally agree with Newtman's assessment. This would be a handy tool to have in the toolbox when it comes to those tricky minor leaguers that are promising, but are lagging behind for some reason.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Just for background: Winter Ball

Arizona Fall League
The Arizona Fall League, the "finishing school" for the game's elite prospects, is a six-team league, owned and operated by Major League Baseball and comprised of players from all 30 clubs.

Caribbean Leagues
The Dominican Winter League, Mexican Pacific League, Puerto Rican League and Venezuelan Winter League send their league champions to compete in the annual Caribbean Series in February.

Australian Baseball League
Featuring players from around the globe, including many with ties to Major League organizations, the ABL includes six teams located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.

Most of the time, I think people are talking about the Puerto Rican League and Venezuelan Winter League. Traditionally, a lot of younger players (both minor and major leaguers) play in those leagues during the winter. Also, a lot of foreign players would return home in the winter and play in these leagues.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Most of the time, I think people are talking about the Puerto Rican League and Venezuelan Winter League. Traditionally, a lot of younger players (both minor and major leaguers) play in those leagues during the winter. Also, a lot of foreign players would return home in the winter and play in these leagues.

How about an age limit of 25 or so to simulate that? Once you get past that age if they aren't major league ready they won't peak til they are starting to lose skills due to age.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Some people seem to have a problem with the suggestion of giving the 5 players an extra training period. Another suggestion/compromise would be to give these players 1/2 of a training update.

This would still be enough for people to pay attention to this "offseason league" but not enough training to make any huge changes. Typically when players get sent to these winter leagues, it's just to continue working on their craft. So having even 1/2 of a training update for 5 players can be seen as "refining their craft" rather than them actually taking the next step in their development.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lets see, an average player gains what 4-9 skills training a season, which divided by 10 training updates equals .4 to .9 skills total per update. I will not log in for .2 to .4 skills total for five players. Heck, I log in everyday already, but I wouldn't bother with that, it just isn't significant enough to actually accomplish anything more than waste time.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The more I think about it it, the more I think this suggestion is just about perfect as discussed. 5 players sent to winter league for training of one training update. Those 5 players selected by individual owners, probably listed in the lineup area as an additional list. 25 and younger makes sense to me but that doesn't really matter, if an owner sends someone topped out in training, that's on them. The choice is probably between hurrying great prospects along and playing catchup on prospects. It adds strategy and yet doesn't push prospects along unrealistically fast.

I'd say let's just do it.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I liked my original idea better but that last suggestion was just due to some people disliking that it was a whole training update. I think it does add more strategy to the game as you are forced to decide which 5 to take. Your top 5 prospects? People who are a bit behind on training? Maybe even some kids on your major league roster that need a bit more seasoning?

There are a lot of combinations to be determined for this kind of training. Add that on top of the one week period in the offseason with no activity, and suddenly people have a reason to log in a bit more during that time.

Previous Page | Show All |