Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> I think the Form deciders need a re-think   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no magic number which can be used to objectively say whether a player is hot or cold, partly because it is a subjective idea and partly because there will always be outliers which don't fit the norm. It is plausible for a slugger to skew the OPS with some home runs, but otherwise stink up his ABs and it is possible for a pitcher to get himself out of the jams he creates without any damage being done.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe we can ask Dan Patrick what is the criteria for a player being "en fuego"...

Steve
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well obviously someone that has a very high K/IP ratio.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Dcmrulz, if a pitcher pitched 30 scorless innings with just 1 k, he wouldn't be hot?

Updated Friday, March 13 2015 @ 4:43:16 am PDT

Updated Friday, March 13 2015 @ 4:43:36 am PDT
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is obviously not worth turning into a field of science, but subjectively, I also had the impression that the form graph overvalues AVE as opposed to OBP and SLG and, for pitchers, ERA over WHIP and Ks. That is a bit annoying for pitchers, as ERA over three games is clearly a crapshoot, especially for relievers, while the peripherals tend to stabilize at least a little bit faster.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
In general, when you watch on TV or listen on the radio to a ball game, the announcer might say something like “Slugger Joe has been really hot lately, hitting .456 in his last 30 at bats”. Maybe he mentions how many home runs he’s hit recently. But in general, he looking at batting average and making a quick judgment based on that. So that’s why I used that for the hot/cold determination. They don’t normally quote OBP, SLG or OPS.

For pitchers, I used ERA. Not sure if this is the best metric to use. WHIP & BAA are really secondary statistics, even if they might be more accurate indicators of how a pitcher has performed.

If you want, those additional values are all available as a hover over or on the team statistics page.

Steve
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just my opinion but I have always felt that ERA is over rated and WHIP is the better stat to go by. You could in an extreme circumstance have a pitcher with an ERA of 1.00 and a WHIP of 3.00 or even higher, in an unlikely extreme case. In that case perhaps great fielding continuously gets him out of the jam or perhaps he just gets lucky when the bases are loaded. ERA in my mind can be misleading and can depend on the fielders to some extent (a bad fielder might not be making errors but perhaps doesn't have a strong enough arm to get the ball to 1st in time). WHIP however is only effected by the pitcher.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm wrong. That fielder getting the ball to first in not enough time effects WHIP too
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is no perfect metric. WHIP is a great statistic, but it counts a HR the same as a single.

Steve
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Good point. There is no true decider like you say.

Previous Page | Show All |