Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> New "Add player" options   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here’s an example why you lack understanding of this game. You took all that time to dig up those numbers from Legends, yet, you have no idea what they mean, assuming they are correct, of course.

If my team has in fact fewer home-grown players, it only means my team was the one to whom the draft was more unkind, and I was forced to look for talent elsewhere, yet, unlike many other posters, nobody ever listened to me whining about not getting my fair share, and I probably had more reasons than anyone to complain about it.

@Hasel

The playing field is already even. If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If it can be improved, why not improve it?
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see how choosing between pitchers or players to draft is shady, that is closer to reality. But I do see this is not reality and there are people who are more and less active on here and therefore to keep the site playable for all I can see why Steve has not allowed this yet. In other baseball sim sites when there are ways for more active players to dominate then the less active ones get discouraged which may be fair in the short term but in the long term it creates a site that can't attract new players.

I do enjoy the rhetoric here.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have mixed feelings about this.

One concern is that all the pitchers (for example) will be drained earlier and newcomers would have to wait until the following year to start rebuilding that part of their squad.

Steve
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with you Steve that gets to the heart of my point. It is better to have new owners and less active owners to have a chance at being competitive. I say leave it alone.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Newcomers don't rebuild the majority of their team's spots with drafts; they do it with free agents. The drafts are too slow and unreliable. Newbies can make several incremental improvements with free agents in a few weeks.

Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A newcomer has to wait several seasons for a draftee to reach the majors - at least if he doesn't want to burn them by bringing them up straight out of college (and the college pool is drained damn fast, as well). I don't think it makes any difference either way if he has to wait half a season to draft a pitcher. It probably takes more than half a season to figure out who a good prospect is, anyway. If you want to do anything to keep the draft interesting after mid-season, bring the larger pools back that we had until 2019.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I would like to preface this with the information that I am not as much of a new comer to the site as my user name suggests. I had played here for about a year ending about a year and a half ago and now have recently returned.

You are correct that newcomers use free agency to initiate the rebuilding process but for a knowledgable player who has his eye on the Legends League it is a bit more of a mix. This is my first season since I returned and yes in one season I have set my team up using waiver claims to where I feel confident of winning and moving up to level 5 next season. Also in this season I have started to rebuild my minor league team with draftees. It looks like it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 real years to get up to Legends which is truly about the time it takes for a young draftee to develop. So with that knowledge I want a fair chance at recruiting quality young players as an owner who has been here longer. The best way to win on this site is to have home grown players which is evident in the fact that homegrown players make up more than 50% of the Legend team lineups. Newcomers need access to good young players the same as veterans.
Jayman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And waiting a half season is a long time for a newcomer. The demographic of these sites is male either middle aged or teen ager. I'm middle aged and have more patience and appreciate the building process ( that is the essence of the fun). But for say younger players they need a little instant gratification to be inspired to continue. Waiting 2 months before they even haves chance to draft s decent pitcher will result in lowering the participation on the site. In my opinion.
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From my experience my minor league system would turn into all pitchers if I had that option. I can easily pick up top players for my team in terms of position players in free agents. As for pitchers this is next to impossible to do and instead I have to rely on my minors to develop a good pitching staff. Even with the the position players I developed that are now 23-24 (my first HS draft picks) seem a bit of a waste of space because I know I can sign free agents that are better than them with almost as good potential just a little older. On the other hand the only hope I have of fixing my pitching staff is through my minors because unless your really lucky you aren't going to get any good pitchers or even pitching prospects from waivers or free agency

Previous Page | Show All |