Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Sabermetric Statistics   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
More advanced statistics would be a large help to my evaluations of a player. I'm not asking for an extensive 50 column worksheet with every sabermetric stat imaginable. I am simply requesting two, maybe three for batters to help in evaluating players. For example, for batters, runs created or runs created per 27 outs, GPA, and maybe ISO or Secondary Average. Range factor for fielding, and FIP or DICE for pitching. I think that these stats would really help owners better evaluate free agents or even their own players.

Updated Wednesday, February 25 2015 @ 12:01:27 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Those would be nice. I think the main problem is space on the page. The other thing is I don't know that they're widely known measurements except to baseball fanatics. From what I can tell, we're in the minority here; a large minority, but still outnumbered by the more casual fan.

About range factor, it was discussed previously. At this point it would be a misleading stat because apparently who fields balls is not based on individual skills. Steve didn't say precisely how it's done, but it sounds like it's a team range calculation first with the distribution of the balls second.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm all with you on the range factor thing, as it can be a hugely misleading statistic when overall instead of by a position basis. Even then, it is not the best statistic. However, it is probably the only "advanced" fielding statistic that could be easily calculated. I can also believe the space issue. Oh well, OBP will have to do. :)

Previous Page | Show All |