Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Defensive Subs   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Please, please, please look at the algorithm for defensive subs. It's a massive fail. Nothing is more frustrating than watching untrained position players blow leads in the ninth when a fully trained player is in the dugout spitting sunflower seeds.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Can you give me an example of this...

Thanks,

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's the most recent explosive example. Salgado's in right field and has about 50 games in the outfield, so he obviously doesn't even have a lower case level of qualification. His error leads to 4 unearned runs. Yikes.

Meanwhile, sitting on the bench is Spahn. He is capital OF with 18 range, 15 arm.

I think a large part of the problem is probably that the algorithm doesn't consider, or at least doesn't consider enough, the experience (capital, lower case or none) at the position. Salgado is 18/16 so he looks great until you realize he's only played 50 games at the position.

My biggest example at the end of 2019 and into 2020 was a shortstop who was learning the position. Again, he looked like he was great with 15/20/13, which is why I was training him there, but he had no infield experience; his FPCT was around 900 at the time. He was never replaced despite a capital SS on the bench who had a career FPCT of over 970.

One thing I will add is that I hope the game also considers the situation. If the team is losing, most times the better offensive player would remain on the field because they need to score. I bring up this point because pinch hitting doesn't seem to consider whether or not the team is winning or losing; if there's a better hitter available at the position he comes in.

Should defensive subs come in during the 8th or 9th inning? Everyone has their own opinion on that. That doesn't concern me as much as simply not getting the defender in there to hold on to the lead late in the game.

I know there will also be disagreement about how much of a defensive improvement a player needs to have to come in. I would say something like easily noticeable, but I don't know how to quantify that because I don't know the game's calculation about defense. I personally value each experience step (no letters, to small letters, to capital letters) as 3 points for each defensive category (simply a guess and my estimate). I would say an average minimum of 3 points improvement for each important category for their position would warrant a defensive substitution (again, that's just my opinion). In other words, for a catcher, range isn't considered, and fielding isn't considered for outfield, etc. Using a specific example, I wouldn't want a 13/11/12 capital SS replaced by a 14/13/12 SS; there isn't enough of a difference. If the starting shortstop had a lower case or worse shortstop rating, however, the switch would seem appropriate.

Maybe this can be driven somewhat by the manager's activity setting?

Edit--Hmm. I just checked that recent example again and saw the error was actually in the 8th. Maybe I do care which inning the subs come in. :) The primary concern still remains-I never manage to get defensive subs their chance to do their job. In my specific instance, Salgado has never been replaced for defensive reasons. And it's not just him. I have and have had several guys check marked for defensive substitutions, but can't find a single example where that occurred.

Updated Sunday, February 22 2015 @ 11:38:12 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's an even better example of non-defensive substitutions. Gray is in the outfield with no qualifications and bad range/arm of 9/11. Still he isn't replaced.
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Gotta agree with Mike, I've never seen a defensive replacement work. Oftentimes the pinch hitter is odd too. My starting catcher has H of 8, so I have my backup (with H of 14) waiting to pinch hit. Instead my backup SS with (H of 12 and fielding of 4!!!!!) is put in as his replacement!

I wish there was a way of specifying who exactly and what inning exactly the swaps were made. I'd be thrilled if I could dictate the state of play: i.e. make substitution only when leading or trailing by X runs after Y innings.

Love it the game!!!! just wish I could replace my version of Mike Morse with a version of Gregor Blanco in the 7th, or 8th or 9th innings.

Thanks for listening.

Updated Thursday, February 26 2015 @ 3:50:28 pm PST
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Want to add something I don't see anywhere else would being able to set my DH as a specific replacement for injured players mostly since I and probably many more don't have the ability to adjust lineups between games
eg
If a Position player gets hurt and the DH is capable to fill that position until injury is over

Previous Page | Show All |