Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Waivers Reset   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There are no quality players available anyway. That hidden gem thing is a myth.

These days nothing gets past waivers, as it should be.

Anyway, regardless of that, I think this is a great suggestion.

Basically, all the free agents that were in the market before closing day in the previous season would be free agents when the market reopened at the start of the new season, and they could be signed immediately.

All the other free agents released after the market closing day in the previous season, would be on waivers when the market reopened again.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Aren’t there going to be some guys you want who are going to hit free agency after the acquisition deadline? They wouldn’t be going through waiver again right? Wouldn’t you miss them?

No because what Mig said

Basically, all the free agents that were in the market before closing day in the previous season would be free agents when the market reopened at the start of the new season, and they could be signed immediately.

All the other players released after the market closing day in the previous season, would be on waivers when the market reopened again.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Instead of the typical waiver period, anyone who is released after the point in time their typical waiver period would put them as a free agent after the deadline would have a waiver period releasing them back to the market the next season, so you don't have to mix in the players that already were free agents.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel like my wording is becoming less clear with every post.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For those who are saying there aren't hidden gems available in free agency, I disagree completely. There may not be gems for Legends and the like, but lower level teams, especially new owners, can find plenty of players in free agency to help them boost the lower ends of their team.

Why not just add a search function for free agents that sorts by time as a free agent with the shortest being on the top? It's basically the same thing as the recently implemented Waiver Date sort.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mike, I do agree, there are players available that would vastly improve some new LL V or VI teams that had been long neglected. That said, I have a question for Steve along those lines, which is more feasible to code, the ability to only sort potential for free agents and not waivers or just not resetting the waivers on players long available? The absolute worst thing I can see happening here is accidentally making it so that waivers are sortable by potential, as that would make the claims process far worse than it is now in terms of odds on the players with potential.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think a search for potential is the right call at all. Potential searching is the only thing that putting additional time in is helpful.

I think a better idea than this thread suggests is one we have brought up before. Making it so players retire after a certain amount of time on the market would retire. FA is cluttered with horrible draft day cuts. I think after 4 or 5 years in FA a player without a team should retire. Would solove the tedious searching through tons of bad players.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think a search for potential is the right call at all. Potential searching is the only thing that putting additional time in is helpful.

I think a better idea than this thread suggests is one we have brought up before.

I don't think a search for potential is the right call either, which is why I created the original suggestion of this thread as an alternative to that.

Let me just reiterate this thread's initial suggestion,to prevent free agents who passed through waivers before the signing deadline from being put back through waivers at the reset along with players dropped during the no roster additions period.

However, I also would advocate for your suggestion:
Making it so players retire after a certain amount of time on the market would retire. FA is cluttered with horrible draft day cuts. I think after 4 or 5 years in FA a player without a team should retire.
mduban4

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There have been a whole lot of suggestions lately, kind of drowning each other out. There have been a few that I like, but they're too much to process all together in such a short amount of time.

I think mine would be a good one to implement now while we discuss the others further as it doesn't involve any real changes to gameplay, just cleaning it up. I can't remember any objections to it.

If not I'll be sure to bring it back up again once the forums die down. :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The suggestions seem to come in batches, one person gets an idea and then another person comes up with a counter-proposal which gets put in another thread, and so the cycle goes. I just hope Steve's last post in the potential search thread isn't a sign of things to come. I do agree with the assessment that your suggestion didn't seem to get any dissenters in stark contrast to several of the other suggestions, even if your post was self-serving. :p

Updated Sunday, February 22 2015 @ 4:37:45 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |