Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Defensive replacement for pinch runners   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think most of the substitutions are strange. Pinch hitting is the best, I think, but it still makes odd choices at times. It would be nice if there was an option to replace with the best hitter instead of relying on a player at the same position as it does most of the time. Of course I would only want that if it then figured out to then make a defensive substitution for him.

I can't seem to do anything to get defensive subs in, which is extremely frustrating. I have a guy in the bigs who is learning the outfield. He has less than 50 games played, is young so he isn't the best hitter yet anyway, but he still is NEVER replaced for defense despite having that box checked. Well, I guess I can't say unequivocally that he is never replaced because we only know that happens if a defensive chance occurs at that position.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
that's not correct.
Defensive replacements will show up in the boxscore, just like pinch runners.

In my team, it happens sometimes
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Are you sure? I can't find a single example of a listed substitute that didn't pinch run, have a plate appearance or a defensive chance (or pitch, of course).
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I'm positive.
However, it occurs only rarely.
Such as, I'm having a hard time to find any.
Possibly in the past season.
I have to go thru old boxscores looking for it...

Later...
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
here
From two seasons ago.

Quinones (DH/of) started the game at 1b.
He's not qualified to played there.
He hit in the 8th.
Colombo, my regular 1b, appears in the boxscore replacing Quinones.
Colombo did not hit or pinch run.
Hence, a def sub for the 9th.

Again, it's not common occurance
It looks like you need both a "replace for" player and a better fielder qualified for the position available on the bench.

Updated Tuesday, February 10 2015 @ 5:17:09 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well great. That means the guy I have learning the outfield isn't replaced for defense by a fully qualified 18/15 outfielder. Ridiculous.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Which player are you talking about?
Salgado ?
He's 18/16
better than 18/15 of the sub.

Then, we can argue that a full big OF vs. nothing is reason enough for a replacement in the 9th.
Maybe Steve can look into that...

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, Salgado. Yes he's 18/16, but he has no experience in the outfield. If a capital 18/15 OF isn't significantly better than that, something is amiss.

And that's just a current example. I was training infielders over the last two seasons and they weren't replaced either. One was a shortstop, the most important defensive position there is. Again, his defensive numbers were better, but he didn't even have a lower-case ss to his credit while an above average SS was on the bench itching to get in during the late innings.

I don't mind paying the penalty for training guys in the majors, but I'd like them to ride pine when the win's on the line in innings eight and nine.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, there are several types of player substitutions:

- defensive replacements
- pinch runners
- pitch hitters
- player substitutions

The latter two appear the same in the game summary, but they occur for two different reasons. Both are controlled by the ‘Pitch Hit For’ management parameter.

The pinch hitter is usually brought in at a critical point of the game – defined by inning, score and base runners. He is usually replaced defensively after the inning with the next best defender for that position.

A player substitution happens if the manager determines that there is a better overall player for that spot on the field. This often happens if the opposition has switch between RH and LH pitchers....there may be a platoon split advantage to bring in a different player. Also, if you play an inferior player (perhaps a newbie), the manager may try to swap him out.

Steve
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

The pinch hitter is usually brought in at a critical point of the game – defined by inning, score and base runners. He is usually replaced defensively after the inning with the next best defender for that position.

I believe pinch runners should be replaced as well

And, as MukilteoMike pointed out, the algorithm for subbing players should take in account position eligibility and not skills only

Previous Page | Show All |