Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Expanded Lineups with Pinch Hitting/Running and Defensive Play   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Following the discussion in the Manager Ideas thread, here are a few suggestions of mine.

With the current management settings we get to decide which players come out of the game and when, but we have no saying about who gets in.

A simple way to solve this problem would be to add 3 new tables below the lineup tables where we could set our pinch runners, in one of the tables, and our pinch hitters in the other 2 (1 table for LHP and 1 for RHP). The player on top of each table would be the first to get in the game when the moment arrived.

A more sophisticated way would be to add new columns in the existing lineup tables, where we could set one pinch runner, one pinch hitter and one defensive player for each position in the lineup. This would be a little more work, but it would give much more control over not only pinch hitting/running but also over defensive play.

I don’t think this is very hard to do, and the only thing the game engine would have to do differently would be to check the new lineup spots and use the players there instead of the ones the game engine would select by itself.

In case these new spots don’t get filled or if the pinch hitter/runner or the defensive player set is already in game, the game engine does his thing and selects the pinch hitters/runners and defensive players for us.

There are other even better ways to do this, with multiple pinch hitters/runners and defensive players for each position, but I don’t think the extra depth is worth the coding necessary and the work setting it, so I would be happy with any of these suggestions or a combination of the two, but I like the second one the most.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
When this was discussed in the past, I think there was concern over cluttering that screen.

I strongly support being able to specify a pinch-hitter. Being unable to explicitly define a platoon is frustrating.

My feeling is the pinch runner column probably isn't needed. In my experience, the computer manager makes pretty good decisions in this regard.

Does the current "Replace for Defense" toggle do anything? I don't think I've ever seen one of my players replaced for defensive purposes. Assuming you are replacing to improve defense, I would suspect the computer manager could do a pretty good job of this too.

I wouldn't mind all 3 columns. But if real estate is limited, the pinch-hitting column would (IMO) far and away take precedence.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
PS - If adding extra columns makes the interface seem daunting (especially for new players) perhaps the solution is leaving the current screen alone, and adding an "Advanced" tab somewhere on that page that would open the columns Mig is talking about.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm ok with an advanced page for the new options, but we could have the lineup tables stacked instead of side by side, and we could also get rid of the average stats to make more room, cause I don’t think they are of any use now we have them split by handedness.

Regarding pinch running, I’m sure there are other managers who would like to have a say about pinch running. If we get to set the players, we are sure who will get in. If not, we will never know for sure.

About defense, I remember having players being replaced for defense, but not recently. Maybe most of us are all so defense oriented now, that the game engine doesn’t see the need to send in defensive players.

Anyway, with my suggestion, if a defensive player is set he would always come in to replace the pinch hitter/runner.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. I don't really like how I phrased that. I think all 3 columns would be nice additions. See the pinch hitting one as most important.

Previous Page | Show All |