Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Yet Another Trade Suggestion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change."--Jim Rohn

I think we could substitute the word game for life in that popular quote. Baseball has changed throughout the years, so why not Broken Bat? Early baseball rules changed all the time, but once in a while baseball still makes changes. Some of the biggest of the last half century are the height of the pitching mound, the balls themselves, video replay, and the DH. Okay, maybe that last one isn't such a great example ;)

Trades can add something to the game. Can. If it's done properly. Why not try to improve the game?

That being said, I think trading could be an enhancement, not an overhaul, of Broken Bat. Limiting the power and importance of trading is really my biggest suggestion. By only allowing a single one player for one player trade per season, an owner can't get a substantial amount out of a trade. Still, it could make a difference in a pennant race, which adds excitement and realism in my opinion.

And if you're worried about cheating, the method I suggested only requires one-third of the reviewers to overturn a lopsided cheat. If someone is overtly cheating, I would hope one-third could see that. If not, well, maybe the trade isn't as ridiculous as you think it is.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not everyone wants to be in the trade police.

Besides, overturning a shady trade would not be the only thing reviewers would be doing.
They could also be sabotaging a fair trade just because they don’t want to favor the competition, or because they don’t like whoever is trying to trade.

The same trade could be overturned with one committee and accepted by a different one, and then people would be complaining about why manager A got his trade accepted and manager B didn’t.

This proposal is not free of bias and is not consistent, so it would only bring suspicion into the game. It’s not worth it.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I begin to think you have a bit of a jaundiced eye Mig2012 :)

The only trade system that I would support is one that is entirely mechanical like the one suggested by Jalapeno5. That would take the burden of policing trades off of the players shoulders as well as Steve's. Shrink the window that trades are available to a week or so in the offseason as I have suggested earlier in this thread and limit the total number of trades to a few per season. Even the most rampant cheater would only be able to do so much damage under those constraints while allowing people with three starting caliber third basemen to swap one out for a desperately needed SS or catcher. As it is now, it is very hard to have a vision for your team and carry it to fruition. That is a product of too much reliance on luck, both in the draft and with waivers. I missed out on two very gettable waivers this morning that would have changed the trajectory of my team's fortunes for the next five to seven seasons. It's very hard to imagine you are the architect of a baseball team when everything comes down to a dice roll.

Updated Monday, November 10 2014 @ 4:32:38 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
At least Mig is consistent with his inflexibility regarding trades. :) To be clear, I'm not saying what I proposed is a home run. I just think the conversations about trades need to continue because I think they could improve the game considerably, even with (heck, especially with) a one player trade a season.

As Haselrig pointed out, there's far too much luck involved with putting together a balanced team. If you never get a starting rotation together because the draft and waiver wire continue to give you the shaft, there's nothing you can do. Trading one player a year, though, can make a difference. The beauty of the one-a-season deal is that it still takes planning to get your team right. You can't make sweeping changes in a day; it would take planning and patience. But at least you have some control over your team with one trade a year.

As far as a mechanical trading system like the one Jalapeno mentioned is concerned, well, that doesn't prevent cheating/collusion at all. That is actually super simple to get around. All you have to do is get with that owner, agree on when and what you're going to enter, and then both pounce on it at the same time.

Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You guys are raising a false issue.

If you can’t find that catcher or SS right away, you do what everyone else does. Hit free agency and make do with the best one available you can find, until you find a better one.

You’re not supposed to have a perfect team, because talent is supposed to be spread around to give everyone the same chances of success.

Trading always opens cracks for cheaters to abuse, and trust me, they will. There are people here willing to comb free agency every day, and willing to get up from bed at 5 am to draft before anyone else.

Any trade system proposal has to be perfect without any cracks or there will be someone taking advantage of it.

Updated Monday, November 10 2014 @ 7:40:16 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
To quote a certain film "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!" It's an online game. Any feature that is actually fun opens you up to cheating. It's a fact of life. Like mercury in tuna or the FDA acceptable level of bugs in food. It's unpleasant, but you accept it as reality and move on. To allow the fear of cheating to dictate what features a game should have is a bit short sighted. Personally, I'd be much more concerned about the spam that would be generated by people trying to pressure a potential trade partner than I would be by any cheating that would go on in a Broken Bat with a trade feature.

Seems a bit strange to associate cheating and abuse so closely to the things that should lead to success in any endeavor. Namely doing the work to gain an advantage over your competition. Isn't that what we're here to do? Compete? If somebody has a better team because they outworked you, good. That's the way a just universe should work. If you don't enjoy people competing with you, play a console game. Set it up right, and you'll go undefeated every season. I'd rather risk it all and lose than be assured of a win. I'd just like the ability to nudge my team's makeup more than I am able to at the moment. If there's never a trade option in Broken Bat, it will still be a great game and I'll still play it.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It’s a baseball game. If you can’t compete in a baseball game you’re the one that should leave and stop trying to turn it into a merchant’s game.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Good luck on your season Mig2012 o/
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Please let’s not get personnel with our comments…you can disagree without insulting each other.

I’ve yet to really see a trading system in one of these games that isn’t ripe with abuse. Even the player markets in many of these games are subject to a lot of misuse. Could we come up with a system that worked – with a ton of checks on any given trade? Perhaps…but I also think that resolving all these trading issues would suck up a lot of time that could be otherwise used for development.

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Understood Steve. Apologies to Mig if he felt I was too harsh.

Previous Page | Show All |